Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:45 PM   #11

For best bang for the buck I'd look to the Adaptalls for a zoom in the 50-100mm range. Something like this:
http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/27A.html
http://www.adaptall-2.com/
The Tamron lenses require an adapter and it is getting harder and harder to find the P/KA adapter so it's best to try to find one with the adapter included.

If you want a prime the Jupiter 9 (85mm f2) is a nice lens but it is M42 mount:
http://m42.povlab.org/lens_detail.php?lid=89
For M42 you'd need an adapter from M42 to K mount. Pentax makes one and even sells it in the USA at pentaximaging.com but they are slow to send it out (always backordered). It shows up on eBay occasinally for around $34-$40 shipped (good price) to probably more. Pentax charges $37 shipped for the new one but it can be a long wait (as in months).

Just after buying two Jupiter 9's (an MC/multicoated version and the older uncoated version) I had a stroke of luck and came across a Pentax K 85mm f1.8 lens locally for a heck of a deal. So I'm overflowing with 85mm lenses.

Congratulations on getting a K100D. I'm really wanting to upgrade to it from my DL but I can't afford to at the moment. I really miss the antishake my point & shoot has -- it just opens up the possibilities so much more! I'm planning on upgrading from the DL to a K100D over the K10D due to price and less noise on high ISO photos.
cvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:20 PM   #12

Best K mount brands, non-Pentax: Sigma, Tamron, Tokina. Vivitar series 1 is excellent, but most of the modern Vivitar lenses are not as well-regarded as the other three brands.

The best Pentax zoom between 50 and 100 is really the 50-200. Weight same as the kit lens, very bright and sharp; the only weak point is that its speed is only average, F5.6 at max zoom. But the images are brighter than the aperture rating alone would suggest, especially below 100mm. And the cost, with the US rebate, is well under $200. This is the lens I use the most on my K100D; the best bang-for-the-buck lens in the Pentax lineup. The extra 100mm of range over 100mm is gravy.

The new 50-135 will be more like what you describe in terms of range, but from everything I hear it's going to cost a *lot* more than the 50-200.

--Brett
BrettTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:00 PM   #13

BrettTurner wrote:
Quote:
The best Pentax zoom between 50 and 100 is really the 50-200. Weight same as the kit lens, very bright and sharp; the only weak point is that its speed is only average, F5.6 at max zoom. But the images are brighter than the aperture rating alone would suggest, especially below 100mm. And the cost, with the US rebate, is well under $200. This is the lens I use the most on my K100D; the best bang-for-the-buck lens in the Pentax lineup. The extra 100mm of range over 100mm is gravy.

--Brett
You summed it up perfectly and I couldn't agree more. Here's a shot taken with the 50-200 on a K100D.

125mm
iso 800
1/180 second
no flash

Attached Images

bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote