Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 4, 2007, 1:18 AM   #1

after talking myself out of it for almost two years...telling myself that something better will be around in a few months... I finally sucked it up and bought my DSLR.

So I'm now the proud owner of a Pentax K100D with the 18-55mm lens kit. Being an owner of a still fully functional Pentax MX...it was a logical choice.

I'm VERY happy with this camera, I've already fired off 500 shots (on only 10 diffrent subjectS) just to get used to the settings and see how it works with the four lenses I have in my possession.

So now... I'm in need of advice for some more lenses to expand my kit.

Right now my camera bag (which is busting at the seams) is home to:

Pentax 18-55mm 'kit' lens

Asahi Pentax-M 1.17 50mm (my favorite all around lens!)

Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm 1.35 Telephoto

Vivitar 28mm 1:2.5 Wide Angle lens

I also own polarizing filters for all but the wide angle (which i'll be purchasing tommrow) as well as a 49mm sunlite filter, and a 52mm yellow filter.

On my purchase list right now is a Fisheye attachment lens (screw on 52mm lens that can mount to my existing lenses) and a couple of warming filters.

But I'm curious what kind of lenses I should be checking out to add to my collection. Having not really touched my MX very much at all (I inherited it from my dad, and with the amount of pictures I take...film is a lil expensive).

My major applications are shooting skateboarders, rock bands, parties, and still life. So far my Asahi lens is great, but I'd like something with the functionality of the Pentax kit lens, but with the quality and sharpness of my Asahi. I'm thinking something that can take me from 50mm to 100mm at most.. I still want it to be a smaller lens, not much bigger than the kit lens, but I know that that is asking a lot. Or am I even looking at the right style of lens for me?

I've also been thinking of grabbing that 'pancake' lens that I hear so much about, as I think it would be great alternative to my vintage Asahi lens.

My goal overall is to replace my vintage lenses with modern DA style lenses...but I still want the same quality of glass.....
Wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2007, 2:17 AM   #2

The 50mm 1.7 is hard to beat as it's a great lense and very cheap.
You could look at the Pentax 77mm Limited lense, but it's pretty pricey.

I would stay away from those fisheye addon lenses, I've never heard a single good thing about them. If you want a decent fisheye lense you should check out the Zenitar 16mm. On the k100d after the crop factor its not very fisheye, but still wider than your kit lense.

nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 12:04 PM   #3

Just my opinion, but I'd save the money and not get the warming filters - you can do quite a bit of color adjustment either in-camera or by shooting raw, with software. I no longer use any filters beyond polarizers and the occasional ND if I want a slow shutter speed on a bright day. I would like a graduated ND filter at times when shooting sunsets (maybe someday).

As far as lenses go, if you feel you need something longer right away, you can look at the DA 50-200. Not sure whether it would be better than your 70-210, which isVivitar's Series 1, their top quality.The DA 50-200 isn't very fast, but does all right in good light, and its quite sharp. Personally, I'd wait until later this year - Pentax is releasing a couple of DA* lenses, and I'm going to be looking at them very closely as a replacement to the 50-200 (the green star is Pentax's way of indicating top quality lenses).

I've been half-thinking about the Pentax 10-17 lens for wide angle stuff. I don't know if I'd use it enough but a couple of people herekeep posting awesome pictures with the Zenitar 16mmand its piqued my interest. I think I'm getting LBA again (sigh, it's been under control for several months).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 4:14 PM   #4

you'll be hard pressed to get a lens that's sharper than the viv70-210mm. i've been meaning to take my M80-200 f4.5, A70-210 f4,and my vivitar s1 70-210 f2.8-4 out and do a test with each. it'll be very hard to beat the A70-210 but the s1 i have is the komine version which is suppose to be the sharpest of the 5 s1 versions of the lens.. the kino is next. whats the serial # on yours??

roy
as far as the add-on lens, save your $$ for a real lens. JMO
Old Jan 4, 2007, 8:36 PM   #5

My S1 Vivitar 200mm serial is: 227333078 it's pretty old

k, so fisheye attachment = no. buy a real fisheye lens..gotcha!

70mm Pentax Limited lens... probably pretty bitchen, around the size I want (50mm is a bit to short sometimes) so I'll look into that next time I got $500 CAD

My main problem with my S1 70-210mm tele lens is that it's too big! I want something with a shorter barrel, and I don't really need something that has that long of a reach very often (remember I mostly shoot indoors). The most I want is around 120mm at this point.

I need a lens that can get me from 50mm to 100mm as I don't really have anything in that focal length. But I'm noticing selection is pretty weak.

I havn't shopped for lenses really, and don't know what lens brands too look for... What K mount's is everyone else using? even if it's 'budget'. Are 'vintage' lenses usualy better glass? (I know with my other favorite pastime, playing guitar, that age helps)
Old Jan 4, 2007, 9:51 PM   #6

Wired wrote:
Quote:
I need a lens that can get me from 50mm to 100mm as I don't really have anything in that focal length. But I'm noticing selection is pretty weak.
I bought a Pentax 35-80 not too long ago, but I'm honestly not sure what else is available that covers a portion of that range.

Quote:
I havn't shopped for lenses really, and don't know what lens brands too look for... What K mount's is everyone else using? even if it's 'budget'. Are 'vintage' lenses usualy better glass? (I know with my other favorite pastime, playing guitar, that age helps)
They are mostly just a better value.

If I were looking for any more lenses at the moment, I'd start my research by checking out the Lens section of:

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/

This focuses on the Pentax lenses, but it at least gives you a starting point. The competion provides lenses in similar focal lengths.

A search on E-bay for variations of the K-mount can also lead to interesting results (that's how I found the 35-80).

I also make the rounds of camera shops that sell used equipment. I found something that I was tempted by the last time I went in to one, but fortunatly I didn't have any cash on me at the time (it would have duplicated a lense I already have...).

Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 9:54 PM   #7

vintage is usually better than budget.. especially with pentax lens. i know what you want but i'm not saying.. LOL LOL

roy
sorry, your viv is a kino and one he!! of a sharp lens for the price..
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:39 PM   #8

If you want to wait until March, Pentax is supposed to be releasing a DA * 50-135 2.8 lens. That's one of two I'll watch, but since they are pretty fast, I don't think they'll be cheap, and wonder how big it will be. Since it is a DA lens, it'll probably be lighter/somewhat smallerthan a full-frame equivalent (that's symply a guess on my part).

P.S. You know how heavy and awkward that Viv 70-210 lens is? I'm sure that I could help you out by taking it off your hands...
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 2:09 AM   #9

naw I'm keeping that viv lens. It may be awkward...but it's a damn nice piece of glass!
Old Jan 5, 2007, 12:15 PM   #10

While your thinking about a wide angle, the pentax 12-24 gives a good range and is a good lens, IMHO. On my last trip north, it was used on probably 90% of my shots as a quick p&s. It replaced a Hasselblad SWC for up to 5x7 prints and e-mail . With careful shooting it should give good 8x10's also (and at a lot less cost than film.)

Luck, Nick
flabuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote