Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 4, 2007, 8:48 PM   #1

Hey I was reading some reviews on the Tokina AT-X 840 AF-II 80-400mm lens. It seems like a pretty good telephoto lens. Does anybody have some pics taken with this lens? I'm interesting in seeing how sharp it is at it's 400mm end. Thanks!
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:26 PM   #2

My understanding is that it comes in Canon and Nikon mounts only, no Pentax. I may be mistaken, however
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:52 PM   #3

Actually I was browsing around pbase when I came upon this photographer who uses the Tokina 80-400mm lens with a DS and then later a K10d. The results are quite impressive. Just wondering who else might have had some experience with this lens.

http://www.pbase.com/tcom/image/71121860
Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:42 PM   #4

Look Here!

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/rev...okina80400.htm

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 12:08 AM   #5

Yup. Read through that already. Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 12:34 AM   #6

Hi Royce,

I've got one of those (the AFII with the tripod mount and bayonet hood). I was able to win an auction from the UK just after they went out of stock everywhere except China last January.

It's a nice lens -- well built like all Tokina AT-Xs, and relatively small for the FL. It does get pretty big at the long end of the zoom range though. It's a bit soft past 300mm, but the images take well to sharpening in PP. There is some CA and PF wide open, but this improves when stopped down a little (as does the softness).

Bottom line, it's better than the Sigma 135-400 overall IMO, and smaller and lighter. I stumbled across a great deal on an FA*300/4.5 about a month later, so the Tokina doesn't get the call that often, as I prefer the FA* with a TC for both portability and IQ, but a very long tele zoom does come in handy sometimes.

Here are a few shots taken right after I got it. Not the greatest subject -- sparrows -- but they are always around when I need 'em. . .

These were all shot with a DS -- ISO 800, f6.3, Natural Mode, +1 sharpness, contrast and saturation 0. All at 400mm, straight from the camera, just resized.

@1/1000 sec

@ 1/800 sec

and @ 1/500 sec

As I said, a very competent lens, IMO. Cheaper, lighter and smaller than anything else out there giving 400mm @ f5.6

I'm thinking that Tokina is going to start introducing more lenses in Pentax mount, or at least I hope that's the plan. . .or maybe with the cooperation between Tokina and Pentax and the Hoya thing, there might be a Pentax version somewhere down the line.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Edit:

Oh yeah, the AF is pretty slow with the DS, but that's to be expected with a max aperture of f5.6 and the difficulty of handholding such a long lens -- haven't tried it with the K10 yet, but I expect it'll be worlds faster.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 1:01 AM   #7

Thanks Scott for the in depth review. Those pics look pretty dang sharp coming straight out of the camera. Hrm, too bad they aren't available new anymore. I guess I'll just sit tight with my sigma 70-300 until some new lenses comes down the pentax pipeline.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 7:33 AM   #8

Hi,

The only other choice you have is the Sigma 80-400mm. Now if they only lowered the price.... I am curious to see what the Phoenix/Cosina 100-400mm pics look like.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:36 AM   #9

Rudy,

AFAIK, the Sigma 80-400 has never been available in Pentax mount, and even if it was, at @ 2x the price of the Tokina, it wouldn't be a viable alternative for me.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2007, 4:50 PM   #10

This is the first version, no trpod collar.

Ed
Attached Images