Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 7, 2007, 12:20 PM   #1

I'm trying to decide on my next lens purchase. The 18-55mm kit lens with my K10d is just not cutting it with my landscape photography and I'm looking for a wider angle lens. I'm trying to get an idea of what lens would be best, the smc PENTAX-DA 12mm-24mm F4 ED AL [IF] or smc PENTAX smc P-DA 14mm F2.8 ED (IF). Any suggestions from those who have used these lenses?

My focus is mostly landscape photography in the American Southwest.
mountainmandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2007, 3:27 PM   #2

Hi,

For me Primes are to limiting for landscapes. I prefer a zoom anyday. When I shot with film Primes were all I had. The 12-24mm would also be good for interior shots. Another option for you to think about is to get the 12-24mm and look for an older similar prime at a lot less money. Then you could have both....

This just the way I look at it. Good luck with your choice.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 9:00 PM   #3

I have the 12-24 and think it will be satisfactory for your use. I know it works for interior photo very well. That said, I still like manual primes. It just takes toooooo many of them to "cover all the bases."

The advantage of the prime you are thinking of would be in very low light. I doubt you would notice any great difference on a print shot at 14mm with either, if usedon the same camera. And close framing before the shot beats crops after the shot, IMHO.

Nick
flabuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2007, 10:10 PM   #4

I just bought the smc Pentax-DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL [IF]. Found a great deal and couldn't pass it up. I'll let you know how it shoots. Would still like to try out the F2.8 14mm though.

Thanks for the advice folks...
Old Mar 12, 2007, 5:57 PM   #5

Is the Pentax-DA 12mm-24mm F4 an "internal zoom" lens? In other words, does the lens change length when you zoom? I hate lenses that do that.

jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 8:30 PM   #6

The [IF] means internal focus. The lens focuses internally, but the zoom does change the length of the barrel. Most zoom lenses do that. This one does it very minimally.

This is the only lens in my bag that allows me to grab the entire view of the Grand Canyon from the rim. So it you are looking for a great very minimal distortion (very minimal) digital lens, I'd recommend checking this one out.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 7:44 AM   #7

Thanks. It does look like a very good lens from the pictures I've seen that were created with it. Now, if I could just find one in stock some where!

jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 8:23 AM   #8

mountainmandave wrote:
Quote:
The [IF] means internal focus. The lens focuses internally, but the zoom does change the length of the barrel. Most zoom lenses do that. This one does it very minimally.
IF lenses are very nice when using a polarizer or graduated filter, as the lens does not rotate when focused. Otherwise no big benefit particularly, doesn't really make any IQ difference.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote