Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:15 PM   #11

superkuma-

I actually have 2 of the Sigma 30mm F1.4 lenses. I got one in the spring of 2006 to use on my Nikon D-50 and then I saw one, about a month ago,to fit a Pentax on e-bay and picked up that one as well because I like the lens.

I paid retail for the first one, and $380 for the second one. I have attached a photo from my D-50 files taken with this lens. As befits this lens, it was an existing light/no flash photo. I had the ISO cranked up to 800, as I wanted to stop the action with I believe a 1/320th shutter speed.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 4:17 PM   #12

I have the sigma 28mm 1.8 you refer to. To my eye it is slightly wider than normal which I like for indoors. It also has some nice macro capabilty. It is on the large side though with a 77mm filter size. I haven't done much shooting with ambient light since I've been practicing with the AF360FGZ and trying to master flash techniques. I sold my Pentax 50mm 1.7 after testing the 28mm 1.8. In my opinion anything lower than 2.8 has not been suitable for photos with people in them.
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 1:51 AM   #13

jabilson007 wrote:
Quote:
after testing the 28mm 1.8. In my opinion anything lower than 2.8 has not been suitable for photos with people in them.
Do you mean for them moving or lens resolution/quality? (Actually not lens but shutter speed issues.)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 2:42 PM   #14

I was referring to the limited depth of field on this lens at <2.8 for the range I have shot. Mostly 1-3 people at a time, one would be in good focus and the others slightly out. Looks really strange on prints. It was worse with the 50mm 1.7, eyes could be in focus but the rest of the face goes soft. That is why I have been practicing fill flash with ambient light so I could use slightly higher apertures and still have the mood of the lighting and not a "flash" look.
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote