Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 15, 2007, 1:23 PM   #1

I find myself needing a little more reach than I can get with my 80-205 zoom, even with doubler attached, so I've been looking into getting a long prime lens.

I want something that is at least 500mm, but I'm working with a fairly small budget (I can probably go as high as $150), so I've been looking at used lenses, both on ebay and at sites like KEH.

KEH has some 500mm F8 T-mount primes, apparently with T-Mount to K-mount adapter, for $62. These are listed as "various manufacturer" lenses, so I don't have a clue who made them. I was wondering if anyone had tried one of these lenses from KEH? If so, are they worth trying, or should I look to another source?

Ebay has a fairly constant supply of brand new T-mount lenses with the same specs (on paper anyway), but these are a little more expensive (still within my budget however), so those are an option as well.

Thanks,
Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2007, 4:06 PM   #2

For a while I was also searching for a cheap long telephoto lens for our camera. I found many of those cheap ebay mirror lens and tought about buying one. Like always before I buy something I spend weeks researching and I found that many people find those cheap ebay mirror lens to be usless for just about anything. The quality of the lens is very poor and it is also very slow at f/8. Since the f/8 is fixed you are limited at what you can do.

If the lens were $50 or so I wouldn't mind just buying one to play with it. But since most of them are $100-300, it is too much for me to just throw away.

I would just save up some more money and buy the real deal. Of you can get a pretty decent quality Pentax 100-300mm lens for about $100 and get a 1.5x or 2x teleconvertor for another $100 or so that will extend that lens to a 150/200mm-450/600mm lens. Multiply that by the crop factor of our lens and you get even a longer range.

I ended up gettin a Sigma 100-300mm lens from bhphoto.com used for about $80. It is not the best quality lens that I have but it does take some decent pictures of birds.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 6:49 PM   #3

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
For a while I was also searching for a cheap long telephoto lens for our camera. I found many of those cheap ebay mirror lens and tought about buying one. Like always before I buy something I spend weeks researching and I found that many people find those cheap ebay mirror lens to be usless for just about anything. The quality of the lens is very poor and it is also very slow at f/8. Since the f/8 is fixed you are limited at what you can do.
None of the lenses I'm talking about are mirror lenses. They are F8, but not fixed F8 lenses.

Quote:
I would just save up some more money and buy the real deal. Of you can get a pretty decent quality Pentax 100-300mm lens for about $100 and get a 1.5x or 2x teleconvertor for another $100 or so that will extend that lens to a 150/200mm-450/600mm lens. Multiply that by the crop factor of our lens and you get even a longer range.
I've actually already got a doubler (2x teleconverter), so I'm all set in that respect.

I've thoguht about that pentax zoom, but I'm not sure, since I've already got a lens that does a pretty good job at most of the range it covers (as I said, I have an 80-205 zoom)... granted, the Pentax 100-300mm zooms are autofocus, and the 80-205 I have is a manual lens...

Paul
Old Jan 15, 2007, 7:18 PM   #4

Even if it is not a mirror lens, those cheap 500mm lens are still cheap quality. I am sure it will be something like the cheap ebay by the name Opteka. I could be wrong but just a little warning. Maybe if you call them they might be able to tell you and you can go from there. But if it is the Opteka, I wouldn't waste my money on them.

You said you have a 2x convertor, with your current lens you can only reach about 410mm. If you get a lens that can reach 300mm, you will be able to get 600mm with your teleconvertor.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:54 AM   #5

You may find that you can get better images from a ultra-zoom point and shoot than you will get from an ultra-cheap lens on your DSLR. There are several ultra-zoom P&S cameras that can be had for less than $300.
bill.guenthner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:25 AM   #6

The thing about those ultra zoom PnS is that most of them max out at around 420mm which is shorter than what he is using right now with his lens+teleconvertor.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 12:30 PM   #7

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
The thing about those ultra zoom PnS is that most of them max out at around 420mm which is shorter than what he is using right now with his lens+teleconvertor.
Yeah, that's true. One thing you get with the P&S though is a faster aperture at full telephoto. Also you can put a teleconverter on some of them for even more range. I have a Canon S3IS and a Sony 1.7x teleconverter. With it I can shoot at 734mm (equiv) handheld and get good results 90% of the time. I think that to get comparable zoom from my K100D would require a very expensive and heavy lens.

btw: I just re-read the original post and realized his budget is $150, which in my opinion is an un-realistic number.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 12:44 PM   #8

bill.guenthner wrote:
Quote:
btw: I just re-read the original post and realized his budget is $150, which in my opinion is an un-realistic number.
It's actually not all that unreasonable for a manual focus lens.

500mm lenses with a T mount are certainly available $100 or less. I pointed to sources for these in my original message.

I can even get one of the 300mm zoom lenses that have already been suggested for around $100 (and these are autofocus).

If I were looking at autofocus lenses in the 400+mm range, then yes, that might be unreasonable.

Paul
Old Jan 16, 2007, 12:57 PM   #9

pbender wrote:
Quote:
bill.guenthner wrote:
Quote:
It's actually not all that unreasonable for a manual focus lens.

500mm lenses with a T mount are certainly available $100 or less. I pointed to sources for these in my original message.

I can even get one of the 300mm zoom lenses that have already been suggested for around $100 (and these are autofocus).

If I were looking at autofocus lenses in the 400+mm range, then yes, that night be unreasonable.

Paul
Good luck. Let us know how it works out and post some shots.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 5:54 PM   #10

paul,
i have NEVER been happy with a TC on a zoom lens. the X-300mm zooms now adays are adaquate for what they are but when you put an additional 4-7 pieces of glass on them they deteriorate drastically.
what i'd suggest is getting an old K mount 300mm f4. they sell for about what you have on ebay. use the TC on it and i think you would be much happier. also look at 3rd party 300mm.

roy
edit: look at these. the vivitar might work for you or the sears(looks like no MC tho). a lot of the time these sears, jc penny, etc are fairly good lenses. google them.

HERE