Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 18, 2007, 2:57 AM   #1

Just wanted to let you guys know that I tried out one of those Roxsen adapters you can get on Ebay. It took a while to finally get it (that E-check took about a week to clear, then shipping from Hong Kong...), but for $16 including shipping, it turned out to be a pretty good deal.

It appears sturdy enough, attaches to the K100d easily enough (though perhaps not easy enough to keep swapping out with non screw lenses while shooting), and comes with a tool to help attach and unattach it. I tried it with a Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4, and an SMC Takumar 55m f/1.8, and both worked fine and both were able to focus clearly to infinity.

While I did take a lot of pictures to try out the adapter and the two lenses (which have been sitting here for weeks after winning them on Ebay and not being able to use them), they were all test pictures from around the apartment and don't really look like much. The ones I shot to infinity were through a window and probably not the best example to use. I normally would have gone outside, but at 20 degree F, well, I just didn't want to.

I did notice that the camera's auto metering works fine except for the brightest stops on both lenses. It can't seem to detect the extra light and will expose brighter.

I also used the adapter to hook up the 50mm lens to a Vivitar 2x macro teleconverter. Interestingly, the camera can meter properly at the brighter stops when set up this way. I like the way this combo works out:

This was shot at ISO 800, I think f/8, hand held (could have been sharper on a tripod).

I've got a question, but I think I already know the answer. Is there any way to use a manual K-mount lens in the same way that a screw mount lens works? What I mean is, is there some way to make the aperture 100% manual so that you're always looking through the lens at the actual aperture setting? I like the way that works on the screw mount lenses because I can use TV mode at something other than wide open, and I don't have to push the AE-L button to meter.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:06 AM   #2
TDN

You just made my day

I ordered one last monday and was a bit suspicious about it...(he has some negative feedback)

Hopefully it'll come trough soon.

Will be trying a Pentacon 200mm, Cosinon 35mm and Soligor 2x on it that I got in a mad bargain last week. I'll check if my DL exposes correctly at full aperture.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks!
Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:43 AM   #3

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
I've got a question, but I think I already know the answer. Is there any way to use a manual K-mount lens in the same way that a screw mount lens works? What I mean is, is there some way to make the aperture 100% manual so that you're always looking through the lens at the actual aperture setting? I like the way that works on the screw mount lenses because I can use TV mode at something other than wide open, and I don't have to push the AE-L button to meter.
i just checked and it is possible but rather difficult. what you have to do is use M mode, hold the DOF preview button to keep the aperture closed down and then hit the AE-L button for a reading.
other than that you would have to find some way to jam the aperture lever on the lens so it stays at the ap you set. then you could use the Av mode just like your screw mount lenses. M mode is the only mode you can use that will let you activate the aperture lever.

roy
Old Jan 24, 2007, 8:19 AM   #4
TDN

just got mine, work great.

The underexposure is the same here, but it's fixed by exposure compensation +1.5

Bloody fast shipping with that guy. He actually sent it last friday and it got here yesterday!
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 1:11 AM   #5

TDN, I'm glad it worked out so well for you. I was just relieved to find that it worked as described when I got it, and figured I should share with everyone here so they might avoid the frustrations of trying to find something cheap that works.

Robar, thanks for the response. It's pretty much what I expected, and I don't plan on trying to jam any lens mechanisms. I don't really mind the way the K-Mount lenses work, and it's a better way of shooting when there's limited light, but the screw mount lenses are just simpler since you're less likely to accidentally get a wrong exposure. An A lens would be better than either, but I usually don't find them in my price range.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:01 PM   #6

is the adapter metal or solid plastic?
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 2:04 AM   #7

It's all metal.