Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:18 PM   #1

I'm slowly looking for a decent Macro lens. I love taking macro shots with my old SMC 28-200 but it's not really a true macro. I am looking for advice on a good dedicated macro lens that won't break the bank.
Any help?
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2007, 3:07 AM   #2

I've got the Pentax SMC-M 100 mm f4 Macro and I'm very satisfied with it. It's up for sale now and then on e-bay and not irresonably expensive.

Others on this board praize the Vivitar Series 1 100 mm Macro lens, but I think that one is pretty much more expensive now (if you can find one) when the word has spread.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 6:54 AM   #3

fisheye4 wrote:
Quote:
I'm slowly looking for a decent Macro lens. I love taking macro shots with my old SMC 28-200 but it's not really a true macro. I am looking for advice on a good dedicated macro lens that won't break the bank.
Any help?
The best deal during the last 2 weeks came from KEH . There were two F100mm2.8 Macro at $165 - $260. As usual it was gone probably within a few hours. Now there is not even any Pentax AF prime at all.
Keep looking.
The next one is probably DFA100mm2.8 which costs more but readily available. These are all 1:1. Pentax macro M100mm F4 is cheaper but it only takes 1:2 .

Daniel

Edited later: I got my FA100mm2.8 the same way from KEH 2 yrs ago. Their Bgn rating is real bargain
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 8:21 AM   #4

just about all of the macro lenses you find will give great results. differences in the will be build quality, AF, and magnification. you want at least 1:2 mag, 1:1 is even better. you also probably need to do some research.
one google page HERE

roy
Old Jan 20, 2007, 11:23 AM   #5

Roy, what was that fly taken with? Did you do any extra editing to it?

In general, how do you know if it's a 1:1 lens or a 1:2? And is the F-stop as big a deal on a macro lens? ie - is 2.8 compared to 4.6 going to make that much of a difference?

Thanks for the info everyone, looks like I need to keep my eyes peeled for a good deal.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 11:45 AM   #6

actually that one was taken with a reversed 50mm lens at f16.
widest aperture doen't make that much diff because you'll want to use f8-32 for the DOF you need taking macros. the specs of the lens will tell you what it's mag is. it's also usually displayed on the lens. a 1:1 macro will never be a zoom. most people like the 90-105mm range for the added working distance over the 50mm.

do your research.. ask here if you find something you like. here's a 1:1 with my vivitar s1 105mm f2.5 (also known as kiron,lester dine, panagor, elicar)

roy
Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:10 AM   #7
TDN

The Kiron 105mm 2.8 is definitly a keeper. Becoming quite well represented on this forum

Max aperture won't make a big deal for macro shots, but if you like to use it as a portrait lens too, it might come in handy...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:11 PM   #8

What's the deal with extension tubes compared to teleconverters? I know you loose some f-stops but is that all?

Also if a lens says 1:2.8 or something along those lines, what does that mean?
Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:17 PM   #9
TDN

1:2.8 means that the focal length divided by 2.8 gives you the size of the opening of the diaphragm....i think...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote