Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:33 PM   #1

I have been searching around recently and came across this Phoenix macro lens http://www.adorama.com/SY100PXAF.htmlIt's a really low price which makes me questions the quality. It also needs an adapter for 1:1, which I am not sure if that is good or bad. Does anyone have any experience with this lens, any pics or advice to share? I know I have another general marco thread out there, but this is specific to the Phoenix lens. Thanks
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:51 PM   #2

fisheye-

Yes, I have used the Phoenix. Optically, it is an average lens, but does the job with ease.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:39 PM   #3

I have this lens and use it quite often. The optics are better than you would expect from its cheap price. It's also pretty light-weight, makes it easier to go hiking with. The lens is mostly light plastic (reason why it's as light-weight as it is) but it seems to be holding up reasonably well.

The adaptor has pros can cons- with it on you can't focus to infinity, so I find myself putting it on and off quite often. It isn't a big deal - its the same thing as putting on a filter. It can be an advantage to the auto focus if you are using the lens without it - it doesn't have as big of a range to go through when trying to focus.

I took a bunch of pictures with my various lenses at infinity and noticed that the Phoenix has the most purple fringing when taking a high contrast subject - something that surprised me because I've nevernoticed that when using it as a macro lens.

The weakest part of the lens is its AF mechanism. It hunts more than any of my other two AF lenses (the kit and DA 50-200 lenses). It doesn't have a clutch mechanism like the Pentax lenses do, so that means you can't adjust the focus at all if the camera is set to AF. I always just manually focus when doing close-up pictures and occasionally when doing something further away. It's very sharp so it is easy to see the focus.

I'll look through my pictures and post some things I've taken with it.

Here are a couple of pictures I've taken with the Phoenix lens. The first ones were taken this spring, right after I got the lens, with the DS.

Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:38 PM   #4

Also with the DS. I think its a katydid.
Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:40 PM   #5

Pine cone taken with the K10. These three have been cropped a bit, then resized.
Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:43 PM   #6

Finally, don't know if this picture makes all that much sense to others. I took it ata Botanical Gardens, its some type of water plant, growing in a bowl type of thing in a tree stump. I was impressed with the picture because theloops on the leaves aren't really visible when you look at the plant - they look like fuzzy leaves.

As you can see, the lens is really sharp and capable of taking nice pictures. It doesn't cost much more than AF extension tubes, and you have a 3.5 prime lens you can use for other things as well as macro. If you don't mind the cheap plastic and seemingly flimsy AF mechanism (mine hasn't broken though so it can't be too fragile) it's worth the little you pay for it.
Attached Images

Old Jan 21, 2007, 7:25 PM   #7

I've got this lens in Vivitar 100mm f3.5 form -- I'm pretty sure it is the same lens optically and build wise except it's manual focus. As others have said it is pretty good optically but the plastic build is not always the nicest. Mine is "bargain" grade from KEH as it has a bit of slight binding in the focusing mechanism occasionally. That is highly annoying in a macro but I still like the lens.

I'm looking for an upgrade as I want a f2.8 100mm macro that can do 1:1 without an adapter but this does the job for now at a much lower price.

cvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:58 PM   #8

wow, amazing pics you guys. mtngal, do you remember if you used the attachment for any of those shots? And would you happen to have one of the pics with the fringing handy?

thanks everyone.
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2007, 8:05 AM   #9

All of the pictures I posted above were with the attachment - it works quite well. I'll see this evening if I still have the comparison shots - they weren't anything great - and I may not have kept any of them.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 8:52 PM   #10

If you are still interested - I found that I still had the comparison shots. Here is the full frame picture taken with the Phoenix lens:
Attached Images