Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 24, 2007, 3:11 PM   #11

TDN wrote:
Quote:
Like I mention there, don't forget you wont have the SR in the viewfinder like you have with the FZ7, + you'll be holding a heavy lens. Basicly you'll need a good tripod.
I'd be using my current monopod. My bird locations are located in very rough terrain and dense undergrowth.

Actually, an unstabilized viewfinder is what I'm used to. I use the FZ-7 IS on mode 2 which only stabilizes the exposure, not the live view. I prefer to see the unstabilized motion so I know how steady I have the camera before shooting. Even at full zoom with the teleconverter it isn't a problem.

I'm not certain what to expect from a DSLR viewfinder. It's fundamentally different than the electronic viewfinder in the FZ-7. The electronic viewfinder does have some distinct advantages for birds, including being able to zoom the viewfinder view and boost the light level and contrast. Occasionally with spot metering I can see the bird better in the viewfinder than by eye, and I've even been able to use the FZ-7 to see clearly into caves and holes in the ground when my eyes alone only see blackness. Nevertheless, DSLR offers manual focus/zoom, better controls, better noise levels, and better autofocus performance.

Sigma has 50-500mm and 170-500mm. I was looking at the 170-500mm. The low end of the 50-500 wouldn't help with birds anyway, and I figured the 170-500mm would have less optical compromises at the far end. (I could be wrong.) The 170-500mm is also 1 pound lighter.

Sounds like the kit lens is the way to go for short/wide until I have more specific needs.
bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 3:41 PM   #12
TDN

Sounds like a good plan, I'd go for it

Then you'll definitly have me jealous, having 2 things I want: a Sigma 500mm and a K10D :lol:

For the things you've described besides birding, the kit lens will work fine.

And after a while you'll discover the greatest thing about Pentax DSLRs: the user-friendlyness with old lenses. For next to nothing you find absolute gems on ebay, which you can use with full lightmetering and even focus confirmation!
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 3:44 PM   #13

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
My suggestion for lenses in addition to the Bigma would be:

1. Kit lens
2. DA 50-200 (light-weight and sharp, walk-around lens for general use)
That's something to think about. #2 is only about $220. I was originally wondering about something to cover this whole range like 18-200 or 24-135 zooms. Initially I thought I wouldn't need the middle of the zoom range, but then I noticed that for a lot of my moss and plant pictures I actually used 100-300mm equiv.

Old Jan 24, 2007, 3:47 PM   #14

TDN wrote:
Quote:
And after a while you'll discover the greatest thing about Pentax DSLRs: the user-friendlyness with old lenses. For next to nothing you find absolute gems on ebay, which you can use with full lightmetering and even focus confirmation!
I've never used manual focus before. It's possible that for plant and landscape pictures I wouldn't even need autofocus. (I guess the camera has some sort of manual focus aid using the autofocus sensor?) That could knock a lot off the price.

Another thing that's causing me to pause is wondering whether Sigma will soon offer one of those 500mm lenses with a HSM autofocus motor that's compatible with the K10D.

Old Jan 24, 2007, 6:12 PM   #15

The camera will beep at you when it thinks something is in focus with manual lenses (thank heavens - there are times I depend on that), but with macro pictures I don't have as much trouble (assuming a fairly small aperture for as much dof as I can get).

The K10 can support a HSM lens, but I think I read something about a month ago (or early this month) something about a copyright problem so it might be a while before anyone releases one in Pentax mount. I haven't read anything about this recently and I'm not exactly sure what it was that I saw, so if anyone has better/more recent information, I'd be very interested in it, too.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 6:02 AM   #16

I find the kit 18-55mm lens and my SIGMA 70-300mm covers just about everything quite nicely.

Just got a Tameron 1.5x extender for the 70-300m... increasing it to effectively 675mm, other than the 1 or so F/stop loss... very little if any image difference.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote