Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:16 AM   #1
TDN

Followup of this thread

My adapter arrived from hongkong today, so I could finally test these babies out

one thing I noticed is that the focus confirmation didn't work...is this normal?

Ok first up: the Cosinon 35mm f2.8 :

To my surprise, a very nice little lens. I don't think I'll be selling this one after all...(well maybe if I see a bargain Zeiss 35mm somwhere...)

Build quality:

very good. Sturdy all metal lens, smooth focus ring and easy to use aperture ring. Mounts perfectly on the camera and even looks good.
The lens does not seem to be multicoated. I plan to use a small rubber lens hood on bright days to avoid flare.

Image quality:
as mentioned here with the adapter from roxsen, the camera underexposes a little in Av mode.

However, if you use 1 to 1.5 exposure compensation, pictures as as good as any other, so I don't see this as a problem. Also it was an overcast day today...

The lens looked pretty sharp to me troughout the entire aperture range, a little softer wide open, with the sweet spot at f8.
It's not as sharp as my A 50mm f1.7, but it's definitly sharp enough.

The FOV is simply awesome. This gives me about the same angle as my old film SLR with 50mm lens does, and I think this lens will do great for street photography.
It's wide enough for indoor, and just long enough to use for closeups.

here are some samples (watch out 56kers, these are 3meg each)

at f2.8 : you see that's it's a little on the soft side.

at f4 : It's sharper than wide open, but it can do better than that...

at f8 : Nice and sharp

Note that these shots are all 100% crops, and the softness mentioned will not be noticed in a real situation. at f2.8 and 4 a little unsharp mask in post-processing takes care of it.
Also, these were taken under not really ideal shooting conditions, and a dull subject. I corrected the exposure on each of them in PS, because the wheather was overcast.

Give it a bright sunny day, with an interesting subject, and I think this lens can do 10x better.

--

Then: the Pentacon 200mm f4:

Now this is a special lens.

Build quality:

Excellent. All metal, it's a tank.
The aperture is very special. It doesn't click into different f-stops, instead it closes smoothly as you turn the aperture ring. In other words: you're not limited to the preset f-stops.
The diaphragm has 15 blades if I counted correctly, which should provide a nice smooth bokeh.
Focusing takes some getting used to with the aperture ring being on the front and the focus ring in the middle...

1 downside: the mount is very thing, and so the AF contacts of the camera are exposed when the lens is mounted. So this limits the lens a little, as I would not recommend using it in wet/dusty conditions.

Image quality:

Boy was I surprised abotut his one. The optics seem to have had quite some use, and are not multicoated, so I feared the worst.

Then this shot came rolling out the camera!

As expected, beautiful, smooth bokeh, and wow:shock:: sharp wide open!

Didn't test much further, but this is a pretty impressive result already for such an old lens.

--

And then the 2x Teleconverter: same as for the 200mm, it's a thin mount, so the contacts are exposed...
Didn't have a chance to properly test it, but from what I saw, it makes the viewfinder very dark, and softens the image quite a lot.
might be good on a sunny day though...

--

Conclusion: For 3 euros for the total package, this was definitly a mad bargain. The 35mm and 200mm are worth much more. If you see one on auction, I'd say going to about 20$ for the 35mm and 25$ for the 200mm wouldnt be a waste. For anything higher you can probably find a better takumar or pentax equivalent.

The 35mm will be fun to use untill something better comes along, and the 200mm gave me a very surprising result.
The teleconverter was cheap in those days already I think, so no surprise it's not that great...

I hope to get a chance to actually properly use these, instead of just test shots, when the wheather gets better.

--

Thanks for reading

TDN

Attached Images

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:30 AM   #2

you can always take the glass out of the TC and use it as an ext. tube.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:33 AM   #3

just looked at the 200 image. wow, no CA at all. that's real surprising for a non-MC lens..
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:16 AM   #4
TDN

robar wrote:
Quote:
just looked at the 200 image. wow, no CA at all. that's real surprising for a non-MC lens..
Yeah, especially if you see the inside of the lens. It has some greyish "damp" of some sort on the sides of the glass, probably because of the age. So I was really surprised getting a result like that.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote