Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 25, 2007, 10:41 PM   #1

Hi,

Just wondering how much difference there is between 70-300mm and 75-300mm(seen both by Sigma and Tamron)?

Thanks,

Chad
cjrenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2007, 2:13 PM   #2

The 75-300mm sell for a little less. Is there a quality difference? I believe both are the same speed.
cjrenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2007, 3:18 PM   #3

I was hoping someone would chime in who has a 75-300. Most of the pictures I've seen posted are from the 70-300, either Tamron or Sigma and they look pretty good to me. As a general rule, you get what you pay for - don't know if that applies to the these lenses or not.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 10:14 PM   #4

I have been looking into these myself. Don't know how much quality difference there is, but the specs show the 70-300 to have a 1:2 magnification in macro mode, whereas the 75-300 is 1:3. This is quite a difference if macro is important to you.

Waiting for my *ist D to show up and researching lenses.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 4:53 AM   #5

I have been quite happy with both my Canon and now Pentax versions of the SIGMA 70-300mm.

Not the fastest on earth (The K Pentax IS helps a lot in that area), but inexpense and reliable.

Also even at a distace it is a 1:2 macro.... which is use hard to sneak up and stick a lens in a butterfly's face though the DOF can be quite shallow... then again allows things otherwise likely impossible.

PS Just got a Tameron 1.5x extender (it a great bargain too) for it and it has done well in combo too, again the Pentax IS a great help in the stop+ loss from the extender.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 6:05 AM   #6

cjrenick wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Just wondering how much difference there is between 70-300mm and 75-300mm(seen both by Sigma and Tamron)?

Thanks,

Chad
The biggest difference is MACRO mode.... the Tameron 1:39 (nearly 1:4) where as the sigma is 1:2

Now not sure if still made but Tameron did also make a 70-300mmm that is also 1:2 but the 75-300mm is NOT.

(like here claiming to be instock) http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;j...0300F45PX%3D29

Personally I have been happy with both the SIGMA Canon and Pentax 70-300's and the Tamerons tend to be about $20 more expensive if you can still actually get the 70-300mm.... I'd deffinately take the SIGMA ovver it if the choice is really only for the Tameron 75-300mm with a 2x loss in macro capability.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:11 PM   #7

For the sigma 70-300mm, did you get the APO version? I notice that the APO version cost a lot more than the non APO version. Both seems to be macro. I heard that the APO is better but how much better and is it worth the extra money?
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 9:32 PM   #8

If that was directed at me, the non APO DG. Still makes some nice images.

The big benefit of APO depends a lot on they tpe of shooting you do.

APO for one is somewhat more resistant to glare/flare problems. And generally has better chromatic fidelity. (You shoot test charts much or things have to be EXACT 20th of a shade color? )

The thing most go off on is Chromatic Aberration.... which again I haven't really noticed any to speak of in the DG.... and again seeing that depends greatly on the type of subject you shoot. Maybe if you do a lot of high contrast/detail macros or astonomy shots it could maybe be bothersome.

If you see it at all usually it on fine high contrast edges... the so called "purple fringe" (Though sometimes yellow)

Is it worth the extra ~$70-90 yes and no again depending on specific frequent aplications, and how often you will actually use the lens.

The regular DG is quite nice under normal conditions.

And while it doesn't work real well (reliable AF in low light) on some Canons (I can personally say original Rebel 300D)... it works very well with at least K10D's AF (likely the K100D too) to the point of it rarely even wanting to strobe assist the flash when it is active.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 1:23 AM   #9

Here are some shot taken with a Pentax ist DS and a Tamron 70-300mm LD 1:2 Macro lens:

Click on thumbnail for larger image

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:48 PM   #10

But that isn't the much inferior 75-300mm Tam lens is it? Which the OP question was about.