Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 26, 2007, 4:18 PM   #1

I keep running into this Cameta Auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sigma-15mm-f2-8-...QQcmdZViewItem

......and wondered if anyone here has any experiences with this lens.
I already have the Pentax 10-17mm and so I was hoping to find out how this Sigma lens would compare to the Pentax at the 15mm setting. I never owned the Zenitar lens, which seems real popular among Pentaxians, so a comparison by those who own both wouldn't hurt either.Thx.
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:50 PM   #2

Hi Hogrider,

I've been considering this lens also, but if you have the 10-17, I don't know why you'd want another fisheye, unless you find yourself using it extensively. I would think that the versatility of the zoom range of the 10-17 would trump any advantage that a prime would have within that range. I think I'd only be using it when I wanted pretty extreme wide coverage (even defished it should be significantly wider than a rectilinear 18), and for the fisheye distortion when desired.

IMO the reason that the Zenitar is popular is that it's very good and very inexpensive, so those who want to play with a fish, but don't want to make a significant investment in a lens that they don't anticipate using much, can go ahead and have one.

The Sigma 15 is rated very highly at Fred Miranda's site by users (9.2/10) and is said to be very sharp, even wide open. At Cameta's price (@ 1/2+ of B&H's $529), it's a pretty attractive deal, IMO. It also apparently focuses very close, so allows some very different perspectives.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 9:12 AM   #3

The reason why Iwant this lens is simply, that I prefer prime lenses over any type of zoom. Now theoretically a 15mm prime has to be sharper than a 10-17mm. At least that's what my logic tells me, as it's been like that with every other prime vs. zoom test I have ever done.

Plus the sigma is a full frame lens.

Of course: If the Sigma is poor quality, the advantage would go to the zoom. And that's pretty much whatI want to find out.

HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2007, 2:56 PM   #4

HogRider wrote:
Quote:
I keep running into this Cameta Auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sigma-15mm-f2-8-...QQcmdZViewItem

......and wondered if anyone here has any experiences with this lens.
I already have the Pentax 10-17mm and so I was hoping to find out how this Sigma lens would compare to the Pentax at the 15mm setting. I never owned the Zenitar lens, which seems real popular among Pentaxians, so a comparison by those who own both wouldn't hurt either.Thx.
I do not have the other fisheyes except Zenitar

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=17658788

This is an extensive thread of Pict and sample from Zenitar

Sigma is full frame and so is Zenitar if you do film or bet on Pentax going FF a few yearss from now

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote