Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 28, 2007, 9:29 AM   #1
TDN

I know there have been posts about this one before, but the search function didn't show them to me...

I know some of you use the 1,7x AF adapter that gives AF to MF lenses. What are your experiences with that one? My main concern is sharpness and colors.

There's one on sale in a store here for 180 euro (thats 232 USD)

Simple question, is it worth that much?

Thanks,
Tom
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2007, 9:44 AM   #2

Cyberphoto price, new, is2184 SEK, equals 240 EUR. If it's in near new condition I'd say it's worth the price.

Edit: Scandinavian Photo normally sells at higher prices than Cyberphoto, but I just saw that they are considerably cheaper on this one. 1895 SEK, eq 208 EUR.

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 11:16 AM   #3
TDN

well I think it's entirely new...

The thing is, it's either this one or a Tamron 70-300mm LD Di for 125euro (±160 USD) shipped...

180 euro is a lot of money though...I think I'm going to go for the Tamron lens and keep an eye out if I ever see a bargain for this one.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:46 PM   #4

Hi Tom,

I'm a big fan of the P F 1.7x AFA, and have two of them (I relatively recently bought a backup as I really can't imagine being without one!).

There are a couple of caveats about them tho --

they need pretty fast glass to work -- Pentax recommends max aperture of f2.8 or faster, but I've found that they work very well with lenses as slow as f4.5 if the lens is sharp and contrasty wide open --

the focus range of the TC is limited, so you might have to pre-focus the lens to get it within the range of the TC, so don't expect it to be exactly the same as having an AF lens (this is not a big deal -- you'll quickly get used to this) --

as with all good TCs, the better the lens, the less IQ degradation you'll experience. Any serious flaws in the lens will be magnified by the TC.

One big plus is that AF can actually be faster than with the lens alone (if you're using it with an AF lens, of course). The narrower focus range of the TC means that "lock to lock" the AF system has less room to "hunt" when it doesn't find focus right away.

I don't find IQ degradation to be a problem, but some have, so YMMV. At least you have the chance to try it out for yourself -- I'd take my cam and a lens(es) that I'd use with the TC and take some test shots at the store.

The price, while not a steal, is probably fair in today's market -- one recently sold on ebay for $280 USD, with the latest one that I've seen going for $176, but had some fogging at the edges -- and they seem to be getting more expensive as time goes by and they get more rare. I think that I'd pay that price if it's in good shape.

Hope that helps some

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 2:10 PM   #5
TDN

Thanks for your advice scott, it was very helpful.

Now I'm doubting a little again...The problem is I can't try it out because it's an online store in holland.

I had my mind set on the Tamron, and will probably be nice to my wallet and go for that one.

But I'm bookmarking the store's site and maybe I'll get one later...would sure like to find out what AF feels like on a M42 lens :lol: