Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 29, 2007, 8:32 PM   #1

I am looking for an excellent wide angle lens for my Pentax K100d. The Sigma 10-20mm lens looks like a possibility. Any other suggestions? I really don't want a fish eye, nor a lot of distortion. Thus far the Sigma 10-20mm seems to be the best choice. Thanks!

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:41 PM   #2

This thread has some helpful comparisons

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=21845114
dave_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 12:02 AM   #3

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I am looking for an excellent wide angle lens for my Pentax K100d. The Sigma 10-20mm lens looks like a possibility. Any other suggestions? I really don't want a fish eye, nor a lot of distortion. Thus far the Sigma 10-20mm seems to be the best choice. Thanks!

MT/Sarah
Anything wider than 18mm (and I easily see it there thouh still minor...partly be cause the DSLR see's it as 27mm) is going to have perspective distortions.

Fish eye is extreme, but under 18mm you are not going to see straight/parallel lines without out bends

The only place extreme wide angle is not really noticeable is landscape. But anything with straght lines, especially close and you are going to see it.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:20 AM   #4

Lots of people rave about the Pentax 12-24, not quite as wide - but a very good lens by all acounts.

ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:20 AM   #5

I have the Sigma 10-20mm lens that Sarah looked at and I have not notice any bend in stright lines. I was also looking for a non-fisheye lens for landscape and went with the Sigma because it was a lot cheaper than the Pentax one. It is a great lens and very fun if you can spend $500 on the lens. I took that lens on my trip to Boston and New York and was glad that I brought it with me.

I bought mine from adorama.com becaue it was the cheapest known trusted online shop.

Here are some of the shots that I took while I was in NY/Boston
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 11:46 AM   #6

while we're on this subject (i'll be in the market for one of these fine lenses eventually!), why does the field of view differ from the sigma 10-20mm vs. the pentax fisheye 10-17mm?

b+h has the sigma as 102-63 degrees field of view for the zoom range, while the pentax has 180-100 degrees field of view. I understand that the internal lenses and elements can correct for image distortion, but why does the field of view differ so much when they have a similar range?
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 1:13 AM   #7

milrodpxpx wrote:
Quote:

b+h has the sigma as 102-63 degrees field of view for the zoom range, while the pentax has 180-100 degrees field of view. I understand that the internal lenses and elements can correct for image distortion, but why does the field of view differ so much when they have a similar range?
A fisheye by nature is going to have a wider field of view for a given FL.... and of course much more distortion/bending to do it.

A non fish eye of equal FL, you can sort of think of as a crop vs full frame DSLR you are just looking at more the center area.

This is not literally true.... but sort of what is happening in effect.... the center of a fisheye is relatively normal and the more towards the edges the more the distortion. So a narrower FOV is going to yield a more normal perspective for equal FL's, as well as likely a full frame image vs a circle.

Old Feb 12, 2007, 10:55 AM   #8

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:

MT/Sarah
Sarah,
I thought you had a fisheye?
Anyway a lot of Pentaxians have success with this one.
Foolproof. It is brand new at around $150

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ation&qf=m

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 1:57 PM   #9

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
mtclimber wrote:
Quote:

MT/Sarah
Anything wider than 18mm (and I easily see it there thouh still minor...partly be cause the DSLR see's it as 27mm) is going to have perspective distortions.

Fish eye is extreme, but under 18mm you are not going to see straight/parallel lines without out bends

The only place extreme wide angle is not really noticeable is landscape. But anything with straght lines, especially close and you are going to see it.
You are right about the paralle line bending. I never notice it in any of my photos until you pointed it out and I took a picture of a brick wall. On a brick wall you can see the lines bending a little bit at the corners. But again, I never notice it in any of my photos and I still don't see it in any of my landscape photo.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:19 AM   #10

And that was my point you only really see it when you go to shoot tall buldings or flat horizons etc.... they are perfect for radmonly shaped landscape shots.

And again getting back to ultra wide vs true Fisheye WA lenses.....UW some distortion but full frame and relatively narrow FOV...100-130 degree.... with 130 still rather edge distorted).

True Fisheye.... likeky 180 degree view but mid to edge area highly distorted and a circular highly vignetted image.