Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 30, 2007, 7:18 PM   #1

I am a total newbie to dSLR's but i have decided on the k100d, and want to make use of the rebates right now being offered. I am going to get the lense that comes with the body and also the 50-200m lense, for the $150 rebate if everyone agrees that is a good way to go.....but I can't decide which online place to use....I read reviews at Beach's.....reviews at H&R, Buydig....and a few others....anyone here have any suggestions at all as to a good reputable online source. I tried doing a search on here, got a little information, but not that much, and wanted as many suggestions as I could get.

I do see the above websites listed on Steve's digicam website, so I figure they are pretty good.....I am so hesitant about purchasing $7 to 800 worth of merchandise from someone online....it just makes me so nervous, and my wife doesn't trust the internet much either, so I really need to make sure I don't get ripped off.....lol, or I will hear about it from her!!!! I was going to buy from a place called DigitalCorp in Florida, and they gave me such a bad feeling when Iwas placing my order on the phone that I went online and checked their reviews from buyers on eBay, and even though they had a 98% positive feedback,,,,,,,SO many of the positives were actually NOT very positive,,,,,,slow delivery, wrong lenses shipped, etc. etc.....so i decided not to risk it with them.....so again, any suggestions by all of you very knowledgable will be GREATLY appreciated.....

jay in oregon
jaynlottyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:34 PM   #2
Administrator

I have bought many things from B&H Photo in NY, I have never been unhappy with the product, delivery or service.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:40 PM   #3
Administrator

jaynlottyd wrote:
Quote:
I read reviews at Beach's.....reviews at H&R, Buydig....and a few others....anyone here have any suggestions at all as to a good reputable online source. I tried doing a search on here, got a little information, but not that much, and wanted as many suggestions as I could get.
Be very careful. There are a lot of scam artists around with nice, professional looking websites.

One of the vendors you mentioned ( http://www.buydig.com , a.k.a., beachcamera.com), has a good reputation. They usually have the lowest cost on the camera bodies. But, I'd probably avoid their kits that have lots of stuff you may not want or need. Watch out for their accessories prices, too (memory cards, etc.). If you see prices that are much lower than these guys on a camera, you're probably being scammed.

For a reputable vendor that won't try to rob you blind, that also has fair prices on the cameras, lenses and name brand memory cards (Sandisk, Lexar, etc.) versus the no name stuff you sometimes see at other dealers, try http://www.bhphotovideo.com

They've got an excellent reputation, better than average return policy, and fair prices on what they sell. They'd be my first choice if prices were not too far out of line.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 2:44 PM   #4

Beach Camera& Buydig are both excellent places to buy from. I've gotten cameras from both places and never had a problem.I got my K100D with kit lens from Beach Camera.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 6:29 PM   #5

I'll second Beach and Buydig (same place). However, if I was nervous at all, I'd use B&H Photo. They are top notch, though you'll pay a little extra.

Make sure you buy everything together on the same invoice to take full advantage of the rebates.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 8:26 PM   #6

I've bought my last two digicams from Beach Camera, and can highly recommend them. Like everyone else has said, B & H is usually close in price, has a great reputation and sells just about anything you'd ever want or need for your camera. You simply can't go wrong with B&H.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 6:40 AM   #7

Hi,

Cameta Camera is a very good place to do business with. I buy alot from them and ahve always had great customer service with them.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 5:48 AM   #8

However I think the Pentax sponsored rebate is now dead and gone.

All the places mentioned are pretty rebutable, and have bought from a few of them myself.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 1:54 PM   #9

i've bought from buydig in the past and it was a nice, smooth transaction. great price and fast service.

i've heard a lot of good stuff about Cameta too, and placed an order for one of thier K10D kits a couple days ago. the kit price seemed really good, and included everything i needed to get started without having to buy from a bunch of separate retailers.
i talked to the sales guy on the phone, he sounded a bit aggressive on the phone at first, but after a while i realized he was pretty cool. i needed some additional items and a couple of changes to the standard kit to suit my preferences and he was able to accomodate those with no problem.
he went over everything in detail with me and only tried to push an extended warrantee on me one time during our conversation.

i'll see how things are when they arrive, but so far things look good.
icexe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2007, 3:16 PM   #10

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
However I think the Pentax sponsored rebate is now dead and gone.

All the places mentioned are pretty rebutable, and have bought from a few of them myself.
No, a new (better) rebate took the place of the other one in mid-January. Checkwww.pentaxslr.com.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote