Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 31, 2007, 5:00 AM   #1

Good day -

-- Is anyone aware of a 'list' of -all- the Pentax or secondary brandlenses that will fit,AND permit full functions, with the new K100d?

-- I'd like to find out if there is a good, relatively fast, short zoom - say 18-70 (28-105 35 equiv)range.

-- Or anolder 35mm size 28-105 (~42-150 equiv) with -zero- vignetting.

-- Similar for a good 70/75-300 that is as fast and small as we can hope for.

Thanks
Aalphabet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2007, 8:39 AM   #2

what do you consider fast???

fast = $$$$$$$

roy
Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:14 AM   #3
TDN

Aalphabet wrote:
Quote:
-- Similar for a good 70/75-300 that is as fast and small as we can hope for.
in that range, fast and small are 2 uncombinable things

Both Sigma and Tamron make a nice budget minded f4-5.6 70-300mm, (the Tamron LD Di and Sigma APO DG)

And they both make faster tele lenses too, but they're quite a bit heavier and mroe expensive
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:21 PM   #4

Aalphabet wrote:
Quote:
Good day -

-- Is anyone aware of a 'list' of -all- the Pentax or secondary brandlenses that will fit,AND permit full functions, with the new K100d?
If you are looking at Pentax lenses, look for either F or FA lenses - that will get you auto exposure, auto focus.

If the lens is only an A lens it will be manual focus (but will be auto exposure). M or K lenses are totally manual lenses.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2007, 6:57 PM   #5

Hi Aalphabet,

For the short zoom, take a look at the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4. I don't have it, but it's been getting a lot of good user recommendations. I'm seriously considering this lens to replace my kit lens, but am waiting to see what the new Pentax DA* 16-50 f2.8 will offer.

For the 28-105, I have and like the Pentax FA 28-105 f3.2-4.5. Right now it's kinda hard to find in stock, but so are a lot of Pentax lenses these days. At it's short end, it's about as long as the 18-55 kit lens, but it extends longer when at full zoom. The barrel is a little fatter, and it has an aperture ring. Most of those sold in the US seem to be silver in color, if that matters. The lens is sharp throughout the zoom range, even wide open -- tho of course it's a bit better stopped down. Some users have reported AF problems with this lens, but they seem to be related to the D series bodies and supposedly can be fixed by adjusting the focus ring for more dampening. I can't really confirm this as I haven't experienced this problem -- mine focuses well with both my DS and K10. Another alternative which is currently in stock at B&H, though pricier, is the Pentax FA 24-90 f3.5-4.5 -- another lens that I don't own, but have heard very good things about from other users.

The only currently available long zoom that tops out at 300mm is the Sigma 100-300 f4. It's very good, pretty expensive, and pretty big and heavy. Pentax has a DA 60-250 f4 on the roadmap for release later this year, and it would probably fit the bill, and tho it looks to be pretty compact, it might be pricey. A smaller, lighter alternative to the Sigma might be the Tokina 80-400 f4.5-5.6 AT-X AF II, again if you can find one -- it's been discontinued, but some users are still finding them -- it's also not as pricey as the Sigma 100-300, but pricing on KAF lenses is anything but stable since the introduction of the K series bodies. Tokina currently makes this lens for C and N, but it's been rumored that a K mount might be in the works, but who knows. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote