Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:01 PM   #1

I'm having trouble with a new old lens I picked up recently, and I'm wondering if it is a K mount. It does fit on my K100D just fine, but when I power up the camera, Av just blinks on the LCD display, and the F value blinks in the view finder. It doesn't seem to matter which setting I have the camera on either.

If I compare this lens (Gemini MC Auto) to my Pentax A 50 lens, the big fin closest to the lens and the tall narrow fin are next to each other on the A lens, and about 45 deg. apart on the Gemini lens (see pic).

I'm not sure how "auto" the gemini lens is, since it doesn't have an A setting on the apature ring. Anyway, I can't get the K100D to take a picture with it. It just doesn't seem to like this lens. I gues that is why I'm questioning if it really is a K mount or not.

Any thoughts?

Attached Images

Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:19 PM   #2

It appears to be a K-mount lens. I'm not an expert, so I could be wrong. There is no circuitry for auto aperture control, which is why the camera is blinking the lights. It doesn't look like the camera has AF either. You can use this lens with the camera, but it will be in fully manual mode. You have to enable this option in the Custom menu section (it's called "Using aperture ring" in my *ist DL) to get the camera to accept this lens.

Once it's enabled, you can shoot in Manual mode or Av mode. In Manual, you will have to press the AE-L button for the camera to stop down to the selected aperture and meter. In Av mode, the camera won't be able to stop the lens down and will just meter at the widest stop (no need to press AE-L in this mode).
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2007, 9:49 PM   #3

That did the trick. Many thank yous!!! I knew someone here would have the answers for me.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2007, 5:44 AM   #4

Yup that was it absolutely it no AE/AF contacts at all on the ring, a full manual lens (though relatively modern mount)... just have to use it that way.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote