Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 2, 2007, 6:28 AM   #1
TDN

And I thought I did one heck of a deal 2 weeks ago with those M42 lenses...well, today I might have even done a better one.

A guy on another forum tipped me off about a photostore that had old manual vivitars in promotion. I went to have a look, and behind the glass this gorgeous 400mm was waiting for someone to spot it
I looked and there was a sign: "All Vivitars, 10 euro"

Don't have to tell you I didn't even think twice. Tried the lens out and it's in new condition! With the box and manual and everything!!

So here's my brand new Vivitar 400mm f5.6, in PK mount, for a lousy 10 bucks!

Birds, beware!

Here it is on my table. The thing is huge, and focusing will take a while to get used to, but I don't mind... It's got a nice and sturdy tripod mount and a retractable hood.

The orgininal pricecard is still on there, says: 9990 Frank, that's about 250 euro

And here's what really matters: a quick test shot, the wheather's still crappy.

Wide open, handheld. Little USM because I focused wrong.

TDN

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2007, 9:08 AM   #2

Lucky, you! Why can't I run across something like that! The only thing I do to console myself when people talk about getting these super-long lenses is that there's no way I would be able to comfortably carry something like this and no way I could manage to take anything worth looking at with this long of a lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2007, 9:40 AM   #3
TDN

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Lucky, you! Why can't I run across something like that! The only thing I do to console myself when people talk about getting these super-long lenses is that there's no way I would be able to comfortably carry something like this and no way I could manage to take anything worth looking at with this long of a lens.
Well, trust me, you're not the only one

I got a monopod coming over, I'll need it if I ever want to get a chance to shoot something without motion blur with this one.

A K10D sure would be handy now...
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:31 AM   #4

for 13usd, you did really good. some of these old vivitars give excellent images. i know it would kick the sigma i had at any ap.

roy
Old Feb 2, 2007, 10:31 AM   #5

oh, post some shots at diff apertures.

roy
Old Feb 3, 2007, 5:46 AM   #6
TDN

Here's some mroe shots with it: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Nice lens, it's actually not too bad to handhold as long as I stay faster than 1/500

here are some tests at f5,6 and f8 roy, anything slower had motion blur.

f5,6

f8

Very pleased with the CA levels on this one.

It has a little CA when overexposed, but for 13 USD, I dont think I can complain

TDN