Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 11, 2007, 2:14 AM   #1

I'm hoping someone can advise me properly on this, as I've never owned an SLR, but I want to get the K100d (as detailed in this thread.) and a decent setup for general photography, with an emphasis on portraiture in ambient lighting-lighting typically being somewhat poor florescent). Because of my budget, I was thinking about getting the 100d body and matching it up to the following lenses:

Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC

Sigma 55-200mm F4-5.6 DC

I've already tried to google reviews, but I can't find anything professionally done so far, just user reviews. The 18-50 seems to be a mixed bag, but appears to have reviewed a bit better recently than when it first came out in 2003. The 55-200 user reviews I've found seem to show it to be a good value for the money. My pricesearching so far indicates that I might secure both lenses for about $200 total, give or take. Can anyone advise me about them? Thanks in advance for any help.
grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2007, 2:49 AM   #2

I would buy the K100D WITH the lens kit instead of buying the sigma 18-50mm for about $100 more. The difference between the lens kit and just the body is about $60. The performance between the two lens is VERY similiar.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 6:07 AM   #3

I'd be inclined to stay with the kit lens there as it seems to get good reviews and it's only costing about $50 with the kit, which saves about $50 over the Sigma. And I believe it's the better lens.

For the 55-200, the reviews I've seen on the Sigma aren't that good. The Pentax DA 55-200 runs about $230, but you can also get a rebate on it. If you get it the same time as the camera, you save an additional $100. So, after rebate, you end up paying less for the two Pentax lenses than the Sigma 2 lens kit. Though your initial cash outlay is more and you have to do the paperwork for the mail in rebate, that ends up being the better deal. You'e getting both Pentax lenses for just under $200.

One place to check our user feedback for Pentax lenses is the Photozone user survey:
link

Also slrgear:
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showcat.php/cat/2

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 7:17 AM   #4

I will third the get the Kit lens over 18-50 Sigma.

And I woud suggest the SIGMA 70-300mm for consideration over the 50-200. I've been quite happy with mine, as most with one seem to be.

That 15mm gap between the kit and 70-300mm is not really a big deal, and the 300mm is nice reach to have.

Some good examples of what the 100D and Sigma 70-300mm can do here...
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 1:16 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice, folks. Looks like I'll get the kit lens for the time being.
grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 8:52 PM   #6

greg-

The kit lens is a very good start. Master that lens and then look at either the Pentax 50-200mm or the Sigma 70-300 APO DG lens if you want a telephoto. If you are looking for a fast prime the Pentax 50mm is hard to beat for the price.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 11:21 PM   #7

BTW I will let you know (as soon as I get it) Bought my (stolen) K10D replacement from Beach... though turned out to be body only when supposedly kit.... in exchange for mutual inconvienience to return it ... gave me a good enough credit to get the SIGMA 18-50mm 3.5-5.6 (same exp/range as kit)

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:31 AM   #8

Hayward-

Let us know what you think of the Sigma 18-50mm lens. it could be an interesting alternative.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 4:02 PM   #9

If you go for the slightly high end zoom from Sigma, think about the 70-200mm2.8 APO.

There have been a couple of post about this lens. I find it ok wide open at 2.8. Half a stop down at F3.5, it is a fantastic lens.

See http://tpmg.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2743 . We were discussing about the famous Nikon 70-200 VR 2.8 and Sigma is another viable alternative as you have the benefit of the built in S R.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote