Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 11, 2007, 2:34 PM   #1

B&H has the Pentax SMCP-FA 100-300mm f/4.7-5.8 for $99.95 (but apparently also for $149.95; what's up with that?) and the SMCP-FA J 75-300mm f/4.5-5.8 AL for $129.95. The Tamron AF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 LD Macro is also available at $129.

Has anyone had experience with these lenses? Should I try scouring the net for the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro?
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2007, 4:51 PM   #2

I would consider the Sigma 70-300mm , nice lens and much better macro ability than the Tameron 75-300mm (1:2 vs nearly 1:4)

Most who have them seem quite happy with them too. I am.

Some nice examples here
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

As for the two prices on the Pentax, probably the more expensive one is an APO version.

There are two version of the Sigma too... regular about $129 aand the APO version about $200.

I have never heard much on the Pentax 75-300mm, so can't really say much about it.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 7:56 PM   #3

Hi Illuminati,

AFAIK, the FA 100-300 is a significantly better lens than the FA J, both optically and in build quality. My understanding is that the FA J series was a very low line -- a beginner class below what is commonly called "consumer" class. I've see a number of samples from the FA 100-300 and they are okay, especially stopped down, but it's not a great lens, especially if you want to shoot it wide open. I could be wrong, but I believe the FA J is built with a plastic mount and has no aperture ring.

Of the Tamrons, the 70-300 LD Di is considered a much better lens than the 75-300 (and it costs more), and is probably in about the same class optically as the Sigma DG APO Super. Pentax plans on releasing a 70-300 in about the same aperture range later this year (?), but will probably be more expensive.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 10:16 PM   #4

Hayward and Scott, thanks for your opinions.

I'm without a camera right now, but LBA still took its effect on me. I just sold my *ist DL to someone to save up for a K100D. I almost had enough for the K100D, but would have to wait a month until I'd have enough excess money for bills and whatnot. I happened to spot the Sigma APO lens available at Adorama, so I decided to bite the bullet and buy the lens. I figure in a month I'll have a better chance at getting the camera rather than the lens once I get the next paycheck. If I'm lucky, the price of the K100D will drop if Pentax introduces another model.

Looks like I'll just have to look through the lens with my eyes and not through a viewfinder for a while :lol:

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote