Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 11, 2007, 4:29 PM   #1

Hi,

I tried to take photographs of wild bird (egret) with my Pentax FA 80-320 and no result at all.

Its look I need longer reach to get close to my objects. Sigma 135-400 draw my attention but I don't sure whether this lens can tackle this assignment. I also consider SMCP-A 400 with can be used with teleconverter to extend its reach. How will its impact on the missing of auto focus of this lens?

I am sure in this forum there are so many bird hunter who have successful and helpful to share their experience.

Regards,

RTogog
rtogog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:50 PM   #2

There are several birders that use one of the *300mm f4/f4.5 lenses with a TC. The TC cuts down your available light, but since the *300 lenses are very sharp so there is minimal image quality drop (at least that I've seen in the posts - the examples posted in the Pentax forum have been outstanding!). There's a limitation to how much focal length I can handle, so I stay with my A*300 f4 lens. If it is beyond its range the chances are I wouldn't be able to hold the camera steady, and I just don't want to use a tripod.

Roger uses the Sigma 50-500 with outstanding results, but it is way too heavy for me to handhold, and I don't hike with a tripod (use a monopod).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:57 PM   #3

And in low light (vs blazing sunlight) the K internal IS helps a lot with that too.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 1:39 PM   #4

I have a Tamron 70-300 which I really like for most bird shots.

However at the estuary going for distant bird I use my Sigma 400 F5.6 PKAF.For closer estuary birds (different estuary) I use the more versatile Tamron.

Limitation onthe Sigmais that it only focuses down to 13 feet,so sometimes take along my 12xZoom digicam for flocks of birds.

Have seen good results on this sitetaken withTokina ATX 80-400 which focuses much closer.Still thinking of trying one of these if I can find one at a reasonable price.The last one I saw was about USD $350.00.

Ian Mc

Ian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 3:47 PM   #5

rtogog wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I tried to take photographs of wild bird (egret) with my Pentax FA 80-320 and no result at all.

Its look I need longer reach to get close to my objects. Sigma 135-400 draw my attention but I don't sure whether this lens can tackle this assignment. I also consider SMCP-A 400 with can be used with teleconverter to extend its reach. How will its impact on the missing of auto focus of this lens?

I am sure in this forum there are so many bird hunter who have successful and helpful to share their experience.

Regards,

RTogog
If the 80-320 gave you "no result at all", it doesn't sound like a 400mm lens would be enough reach either. Have you considered the Sigma 170-500 f 5-6.3? It's abourtthe same length/weight as the 135-400 for another $130 or so.

If you're thinking about using a TC anyway, I'd go aheadand get one and try it on the 80-320.The Tamron 1.4 is pretty inexpensiveand it would stretch the 80-320 to 448 at the long end. If nothing else, this would give you a better idea how much reach you really need. If youeventually get a longerlens, and you coulduse the TC with it.
dave_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 4:53 PM   #6
TDN

I use a Vivitar 400mm. Works ok.

Manual focus and a big thing to carry around though...but a good solution until more budget becomes available for me ^^
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote