Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 15, 2007, 2:33 AM   #1

I seem to be getting soft images with my 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL kit lens. Can anyone suggest a TACK SHARP lens to replace this kit lens on my K10D.
I'm only shooting with this camera for a few weeks, so it could be me. Anyone getting the same results? I'm still shooting mostly in Auto mode until I get more familiar with the camera. I've taken some shots with my Tamron 70-300mm and some of those are awsome, especially when switching the lens to macro. Tack sharp, with great detail.

Jay D
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:33 PM   #2

Really haven't heard others say that (for what it is)... and RAZOR sharp maybe not... but under what conditions/exposure??? (I have been happy with its results overall)

For what it is, and added cost (as kit) a pretty darn good lens/bargain.

Sure you can do better at twice or more the cost..

For instance SIGMA has a similarly cost 15-50mm one ~$100 they also have a high grade version for $400. Main difference stays 2.8 throughout range vs 3.5 to 5.6.

How fussy ya want to be? And how much going to use it low light
(And of course the K IS helps a lot in not needing the 2.8 so absolutlely, plus if desired deeper DOF).

And finally... depending on the shot, some lenses seem just too (unaturally) sharp/frozen for my tastes anyways. Fine if doing forensics ... but as would naturally be seen/experienced?
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:46 PM   #3

Have not used the 18-55 myself - seems some people like it (ie good value for money),while others find it too soft.

I currently have the 18-35mm on my new K10D - which seems a reasonably sharp lens, any very convenient weight and length. But I am wondering whether to trade it in for a 16-45mm which is generally more highly regarded - since I would prefer a wider angle view on the bottom of the zoom range.

(eg I just posted this question in a new thread:

Does anyone have any views or experience on the relative merits/value formoneyof the

Pentax 18-55mm (cheapest) vs 18-35mm vs 16-45mm (dearest)...

The 16-45 gets lots of good reviews - but is substantially more expensive; and I wonder if it will get superceded by the upcoming 16-50 DA*.

BTW has anyone seen any projected pricing on the new DA* lenses yet??)
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:45 PM   #4

Hayward and David C,

Thanks for your replies, but after a bit of practice with my new K10D and 18-55mm kit lens, I think it's taking decent photos, especially for the price.
Hey, they say practice makes perfect, so that's what I intend to do since I'm a newbie at all this photography stuff :-) I posted my first K10D photo on Steve's Pentax forum and I didn't think it looked as bad as I first thought it did. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Jay D
Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:59 PM   #5

Jay D wrote:
Quote:
Hayward and David C,

Thanks for your replies, but after a bit of practice with my new K10D and 18-55mm kit lens, I think it's taking decent photos, especially for the price.
Hey, they say practice makes perfect, so that's what I intend to do since I'm a newbie at all this photography stuff :-) I posted my first K10D photo on Steve's Pentax forum and I didn't think it looked as bad as I first thought it did. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Jay D
And not knowing your hand steadiness and again what exposure?... what were the conditions you were shooting in?.... and much of what I do is sunset and after I pretty much always leave the IS on. And with old orig Relebel (300D) was told I had pretty steady hands... even without IS and low shutter rate )18/sec and below at even just 50mm or so)

Is it really softness or maybe motion blur? An educated eye can see the difference.
But really have seen very few complain of KIT 18-55mm complain of overall softness.

Old Feb 16, 2007, 10:59 PM   #6

OPPS a double posdt hiccup :?
Old Feb 17, 2007, 8:55 PM   #7

18-55 has been quite good.

This was taken last summer and there's no processing, other than flickr's resampling. the actual file is even sharper

mongrelchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:56 PM   #8

That does seem nice and sharp...

I wonder what the new 16-50 will be like wide open?? There do not seem to be any pre-release pics available for it, so I suppose we will just have to wait and see... Just wish it was available real soon, so I could decide whether to trade my current mid-range zoom (the FAJ 18-35) for it - since the camera store says I can have a two week grace period during which I can trade the lenses I got with the K10D towards better quality ones if I decide it is worth the extra money...
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 1:25 AM   #9

mongrelchild,

Great shot. The bottom line is, I'm new at this DSLR photography and I can use some practice for sure, but I'll get the hang of it, I'm sure, but in the meantime, I'm having fun. Thanks for the reply and the photo.

Jay D