Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 20, 2007, 4:45 PM   #1

So I received my 50mm f/1.4 M42 lens, but still don't have an adapter. I held the lens onto the camera.

I focused, took a meter reading at wide open, and snapped a pic.....

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...141&size=l

What do you think about the picture. Any and all criticism welcome
mongrelchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2007, 5:07 PM   #2

Honestly I don't find the image terribly interesting, but you did manage to get the subject in focus which can be tricky the way you were doing it.

As for an adapter, I recommend you look for the Roxsen adapter on Ebay. It's the cheapest one that I know of that lets you focus to infinity (I use it myself on a 50mm 1.4 Super Takumar).

If you're patient, you should be able to get one at the starting bid price. They put new ones up all the time (last I checked).
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 5:42 PM   #3

already ordered it and it's on the way. I got it at the minimum bid price.

im really impressed with the dof effect (i refuse to say stupid bok***), which is why i like the pic
Old Feb 20, 2007, 9:28 PM   #4

The picture might not be of a very interesting subject, but I really like it - it's really sharp and your DOF is perfect. The sharpness really impresses me since my M 50mm 1.4 is so soft wide open. I'm impressed and will be really interested in your pictures when you get the adaptor.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 9:57 PM   #5

thanks for the kind words mtngal

i looked at the exif data and was doubly impressed by it. Maybe the act of having to hold the lens in steadied everything, but this pic was taken at 1/15 @ 200iso......

I can't wait to get the adapter. So far I've noticed that using the lens in full manual ain't so bad. The camera's metering is a good starting point so the aperture isn't too tough to figure out. the 'in focus' indicator wasn't very reliable, but I suspect it'll be better when the lens is mounted correctly, i took that shot by eye.

Is your 50 a Pentax or from another company? Could it be fungus softening the image?
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:03 PM   #6

My lens is a Pentax SMC M 50mm 1.4, no fungus. For some reason pictures at 1.4 look fuzzy to me, but its really sharp at 2.0, just as sharp as my M 1.7 is wide open. I think it's interesting that the M 1.4 commands a higher price on ebay - I prefer the M 1.7 (and still haven't done anything about selling the 1.4, partly because it was my father's lens). I've read elsewhere that the A and FA 1.4 lenses have different optics and are much sharper than the M and K 1.4s, and I don't doubt it, from what I've seen posted here by others. Your M42 mount 1.4 is really lovely.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:41 PM   #7

I actually got very lucky and found a used Pentax Super Program with a Pentax external flash and the Pentax A 50mm 1.7 for $35. The lens had a UV filter on it and was in great shape. Because of the cold weather though, I've hardly had a chance to do any real shooting with it.

Before I found that, I actually got another camera on Ebay, a Pentax MV1 with an M 50mm 1.7 for $24 including shipping, but now I guess I'll be selling that.

I'll probably keep my 50mm 1.4 Super Takumar just to have the option of going that bright. I got good results with it already and would probably use it in really dark situations.

Shooting with a screw mount lens is pretty fun, and faster than shooting with a K mount manual lens in my opinion. With the K-mount lenses, you have to hit the AE-L button every time you want to set your exposure, but with a screw mount you can leave it on aperture priority, set the aperture on the lens and the camera will set shutter speed automatically. You can even use exposure compensation, whereas on a K-mount lens you need to set your exposure, then adjust the shutter speed manually. The drawback of course is if you use very small apertures your viewfinder will be dark, but I find that in rather dim conditions looking through f/4 is actually not that bad.

One thing I did notice with the Super Takumar though was that the camera couldn't detect the difference between f/1.4 and f/1.7, so the f/1.4 shots always came out brighter. Usually not too big a deal, but something to remember (if it applies to your lens as well).
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote