Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 23, 2007, 7:25 AM   #1

Hello all,

I was wondering how this lens is. I have a Samsung GX-1L aka Pentax *ist DL2. Would this work well onmy Alaskan Cruise so I can takegood shots

I paid 115 for it on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220085500413

If this isn't a good choice for me what would you recommend?

fatlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:08 AM   #2

I have heard about these 28-300 being a bit soft on the long end. I have heard that the 28-200's are a lot sharper at both ends, but haven't really had a chance to test.

The only other suggestion I had for you would be to check www.KEH.com before buying on eBay. A lot of times you can actually get a better deal on KEH (just my personal experience, but I think they underrate their products), and if the prices are about the same, I would trust KEH a little more than an average joe on eBay. Just my 2cents though.

-Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 1:19 PM   #3

Thanks for your help. I will be holding off on this. Will look for another lense.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 2:17 PM   #4

I had one of those for my Canon Rebel and was not really happy with it. Finally replaced it with the 70-300mm..

It was soft over about 225mm and very poor contrast wide open in low light, even some trace of corner shadows (mild vignetting) with a flat background like sky near/at 300mm

10x is a lot to ask from or expect in an inexpensive SLR lens.

Also the thing tended to creep badly shootong anything but level.... making manual focus (and holding zoom) while shooting up or downward near impossible. It did have a zoom lock but it only served to lock it at 28mm
Also when hanging it would tend to slide out to full extension.

The only nice thing about it was the Internal Focus (IF), if you were using a polarizer or graduated filter. (no barrel rotation)

If you want 300mm I would much more recommend the SIGMA 70-300mm Much better quality in both images and opeatrion, its also lighter.

I liked the 70-300mm enough that I bought one for my new K10D as well.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 2:28 PM   #5

A lot of people, including myself, have also had great results using the Sigma 100-300mm. This is what I would suggest for a budget setup:Tamron28-200mm as a walk-around, Sigma 100-300mm for longer reach, Pentax-DA 18-55mm for wide angle, and Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 for indoor/lowlight photography.

Again, just my 2cents.
-Nick
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 2:34 PM   #6

Thanks for your recommendations! I think I will get the 70-300 from Tamron or Sigma. I think I will also get a Tamron 1.4x teleconverter.

Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:23 PM   #7

If you go Tamron be sure you get the 70-300mm and not the much inferior 75-300mm.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote