Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:14 PM   #1

I'm wondering where I can find lenses with these specs for the K100d:

28-70mm
28-105mm
50mm
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2007, 7:16 PM   #2

ah, what brand???

ebay has just about everything.. 90% of my equipment came from there.

roy
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:47 PM   #3

Well, for starters, what should I expect to pay for a 50mm prime with autofocusing? Also, how much of a pain is manual focusing?
Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:32 AM   #4

Manual focusing can be a problem for some people, and it is more problematic as I get older (though I have quite a bit of success with it - I use a manual focus A300 lens quite often, along with occasionally using a M 50mm 1.7). It's an individual thing, the sharper the lens the easier it is to do.

B&H is out of the FA50mm 1.4 but they list the price as $219.95. They do have the 50mm 2.8 macro lens in stock for $399.95, so that gives you some idea of what you would pay for either of them, buying them new. Both B&H and Adoramaseem to be reliable camera stores, and both carry both new and usedlenses.

KEH has both the M1.4 and the M 1.7 in stock - the 1.4 for $144 and the 1.7 for $59. I have both these lenses and prefer the 1.7 (one of these days I should do something about selling the 1.4, but just haven't bothered). I'm surprised to see how few lenses KEH has on hand - they usually have more (they had an F70-210 that I thought seriously about but they listed it as bargain and were asking $165 for it - wasn't sure I wanted to spend that much on it. It's gone now).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:04 PM   #5

Contriver

I mainly use manual focus lenses on my DS and it is not a pain at all.

On my camera I still get the autofocus indication in the viewfinder to back up what I see through the viewfinder when focussing.

Manual focus lenses tend to have very smooth and progressive mechanical focussing action so precise focussing is not a problem.

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:20 PM   #6

What do you all think about this lens:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PENTAX-M-SMC-50m...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:36 PM   #7

Good sharp lens. I have a Pentax f1.7 and am very happy with it.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 10:32 PM   #8

This is an M lens that means you will probably oinly be able to use it in fully manual metering mode.

It does not have the A position on the apeture control that allows the camera to set the aperture position.

This is the only real possible drawback that I can see.

Phil
philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:56 PM   #9

I have both the lens listed on ebay (M 50mm 1.4) and the M 50mm 1.7. Personally, I prefermy 1.7 overmy 1.4. They are the same when you have the lenses stopped down to 2.0 or smaller, both are equally sharp. The only difference is wide open - the 1.7 is sharp, while the 1.4 is quite soft wide open. The 1.4 sells for a premium because it is slightly faster, but I don't think it is worth it. I'd pay less and get the 1.7, then you don't have to make sure you stop the lens down one click, just to keep the picture sharp. I've read elsewhere that Pentax changed the 1.4 lens when they came out with the A version, and they are sharper wide open (backed up by photos that have been posted here with the FA version of the lens).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:24 AM   #10

BTW, that 50mm went for $191.50, what do you all think about that price?