Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 2, 2007, 6:04 AM   #1

- it should be an F lens accourding to description, got no answer from seller to confirm yet, though
- f/3.5 --> chances are we talk about a 35-135/3.5-4.5 F since there was no prime 135/3.5F according to Stans and BDimitrov

Is there anyone here to know this and can comment on it?

According to Stans the Pentax 35-135/3.5-4.5A is a good lens - I am really considering a 28-105, 35-105 or 35-135 as a walkaround lens.

As I saw from other posts people mostly argue against Sigma or Tamron in that range, and it has to be a F-lens, I need the autofocus capability.

From my point of view I need a sharp lens through the whole range (f-stop, zoom) and maybe I am asking for too much trying to find this in 7x zooms or 10x zooms. So this is a try in the 3* zoom range.

Budget is around EUR 100.00 and I already checked some auctions - and could get that lens for example within that price range. I haven't found any pictures or reviews for it, that's why my posting here.

So - what F-lens in that range would you recommend, do you know that Takumar and what are fair/good prices for these?

Thanks in advance,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2007, 8:14 AM   #2

Update, the Takumar is a early prime 135/3.5 with manual focus - not what I am after.

Still - my question about lenses from above stands
Old Mar 2, 2007, 12:57 PM   #3

I've got a Pentax F 35–135 mmf 3.5–4.5. Haven't used it a lot, but I find it so-so. I bought it to fill the gap between 16-45 and 70-210 when travelling, but I see now after my South America trip that it's seldom mounted. The so called macro device is not much of a macro, focusses at more than 2 feet and gives something like 1:4 magnification. Substanitally less contrasty than my fixed focus A*-lenses, but that might not be a fair comparison considering the difference in price. Got mine for a little less than 100 USD, and it's been a while since the A*85 mm f 1.4 could be bought for that...

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 11:14 PM   #4

Just for your information, I think I have that lens (Takumar 135 3.5). It has a poor reputation - no SMC coatings, often not very sharp. I've only played with it once or twice when I first got the DS, thought my copy wasn't bad but by then I already had the DA 50-200. Minecame asa kit lens (along with theSMC 50mm 1.7)with a Pentax ME camera in 1980.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 1:03 AM   #5

I have a Pentax 35-105 Macro Zoom lens I bought new, in '85 for $ 375 Canadian. It has been a fantastic lens, IMO.

Robust, reliable, takes very clear shots. I have used it for over 20 years as my prime lens, attached to our 35 mm, K1000.

The macro feature isn't all that much of a close up, but it isn't bad.

I'm looking for a digital slr and the fact that I have this lens, is the big reason why I'm considering Pentax, so I can continue to use it.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 1:04 AM   #6

Just bought the Sigma 28-105 on ebay. Paid £34.50 including delivery. Lost the Pentax version as it went for around £50.

Haven't given it a good workout yet (nasty weather at the weekends) but shot a few pics of the g/f and seems to be a good performer.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:29 AM   #7

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Just bought the Sigma 28-105 on ebay. Paid £34.50 including delivery. Lost the Pentax version as it went for around £50.

Haven't given it a good workout yet (nasty weather at the weekends) but shot a few pics of the g/f and seems to be a good performer.

Darren
I used to own this lens... very nice... sharp and contrasty throughout the zoom range, but doesn't focus very close at all. So I replaced it with the Pentax-F 35-105mm w/ Macro at 105mm. That too was a very nice lens, very light and pretty sharp.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2007, 9:11 AM   #8

ah, I see. Thanks.

Looks as if the Pentax 28-105 or 35-105 would be a nice lens to hunt for then, will let you know how it goes and post some shots if I get one. Prices for good pentax lenses (mind you-I only go for AF capable ones) seem to raise with every day - some are just ridiculous to my mind.

*keeps fingers crossed*
Old Mar 3, 2007, 1:33 PM   #9

A little update:

I won a MZ-7 body plus a FA 1:4-5.6 28-105 IF some minutes ago on ebay. I really hope this was a good decision, thanks all for your help (also @Thazooo from the 28-105 thread).

I think it was a nice offer for me - have a now mostly unused Minolta Dynax 500si with kit lens sitting in the shelf... maybe I can replace this with the MZ-7 body? This would allow to use the same lens on both bodies, too.

Now let's see that everything arrives at my place and works as advertised.