Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 6, 2007, 1:46 PM   #11

Great shots. And a very good visual representation of the focal lengths.

This should be a sticky.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 2:15 PM   #12

Great shots - but I would have prefered the longer shots not moving around - stick with the same POV, just zooming in closer and closer as focal length increased - its harder to tell when you are looking at something different..

ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:50 PM   #13

All of them except for the 2 of the pole vaulters were in areas that were shown in the18mm picture (the close-ups of the runners are by the "U", which is in the lower part of the track in the first picture).

I purposefully didn't just zoom in on one spot, because the Tamron website that Scott posted in the first thread about focal lengths does an excellent job of that (though boring - who would zoom in on a blank window?). I wanted to show how you might actually use to some effect the various focal lengths, how much background you might capture, and to show what a 300mm lens can capture even from the very back of a grandstand. I thought about posting a crop from the K10, just to show what detail you can capture with a good lens like the A*300, and how much cropping you can do, but that's camera specific, and I was trying to show lens specific information.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:21 PM   #14

i agree harriet,
i think this would have been much better with a central view with all focal lengths. it is rather difficult to invision without that. oyu've a remarkable tho.

in my 700mm thread someone asked for me to shoot a shot at a more regular focal length to see the difference in the reach. i just finished a job so i'm off for a while and will put this on the list of TTD. hehe
with my range it should be interesting. 19mm - 1400mm

roy
Old Mar 6, 2007, 7:31 PM   #15

Very interesting to see the difference in the focal lenghs of these lenses. Thanks for taking the time and sharing with us. BTW its about -15 with the wind chill here today.
87olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 9:18 AM   #16

K10, 200mm(DA 50-200). This is the longest reach the lens has.

For people who have already reviewed this thread and your computer goes to new posts only - I've changed what I'm trying to show in this thread, and most of the pictures above.
Attached Images

Old Mar 8, 2007, 9:22 AM   #17

K10, A*300 - a fixed focal length at 300mm.

Tonight I'll process the other series, with a subject closer to you. I hope to have enough time to do them all - instead of driving after work from West LA to Bakersfield and a third of the way back, we'll be stopping for an oil change!
Attached Images

Old Mar 8, 2007, 9:23 AM   #18

And, just because I can, here's a crop of the above 300mm picture. It's not quite a 100% crop, but mostly so. Since this really shows "field of view" I thought I'd throw it in.
Attached Images

Old Mar 9, 2007, 12:18 AM   #19

very useful! cant wait to get my 70-300mm lense tomorrow! 1 day shipping on amazon for $1.99 after i signed up for a free trial of amazon prime
xfxgeforced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 1:44 PM   #20

Perhaps you are someone who's not interested in wildlife or shooting anything over a third of a mile (over a half akilometer)away. You just want to take pictures of your child competing in the state track championships and your seats are at the top of the grandstands. What lens do you use?

Same position as the previous set of pictures, but this time concentrating on the logo. Not many track team people working out this day.

K10, kit lens, 40mm:
Attached Images