Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:54 PM   #11

i'm in complete agreement with scott. if you really get into macros you will find off camera flash to be great. i use a grip to take macros and it has really helped. shadowing is, IMHO , essential as it gives a more 3D effect to the image. that's why i do not like my ring flash/light.

roy
Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:41 AM   #12

Well, I still have to disagree. I grow chiles-several hundred varieties- as a hobby and the macros are to document the flowers and pods on the plants. I grow most in pots and bring the pots inside and photograph them with natural light. I feel this gives me a more natural representaion of what they actually look like. That is how the blossom above and this one were done.

Here is a link to more of them

http://www.pbase.com/chiles400
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 9:41 AM   #13

Hello John,

My 100mm macro does the same thing and I'm wondering if it's normal. I guessed that it was a drawback from the quickshift system (manual focus right after a autofocus without touching anything). But I still wonder if it's normal. Please let me know if you find out anything, especially if Pentax sends you a new one that doesn't behave like this.

Thanks,
Etienne
erollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 1:14 AM   #14

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
, but I do have an A*300 that goes beyond infinity (is that what you are asking?). And I've heard of other lenses that do this, so while it isn't normal across the board (I have an M 50mm 1.7 that is older than the A lens I have, and doesn't do it).
I think that has something to do with AF likely.... that way it doesn't run up against a hard stop focusing to INF.

I am not sure I have heard people as frequently make that comment of MF lenses.

OOPS guess I do now... since rereading I see you said A not F or AF.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 2:10 PM   #15

Etienne

Got the lens back fom Pentax with a note " this is normal for the focus ring to turn beyond it's stops on the lens". Too bad the two people from Pentax who told me to send it in didn't know that.

john
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 1:55 PM   #16

Helly John,

I went back to the store to see if they had another copy of the 100mm. I bought their last copy, but they had a D-FA 50mm macro in stock and yes, it does the same thing.

Thanks for your reply!
Etienne
erollin is offline   Reply With Quote