Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:05 AM   #1

Hi, i'm a new happy owner of a K100D, and this is my first post but i've been reading here for the last 6 months.

I got immediately stuck with LBA, and that terrible thing that is called ebay.

I have the kit lens, and i just purchased on ebay a sigma 28-105 f2.8/4, and a sigma 70-300apo ( the one made for analogic, not the latest one with the red band )

My question is what is your experience with the 2 sigma lenses, if they are good quality lenses, if they are ok to learn, or if it's better to start looking for something else.

Also i was thinking of buying an old takumar 135mm f 2.5 and the adapter for m42, do u know how sharp is this lense? I'd like it's big aperture at such focal length.

Last question, sorry to bother, i can't find any wide angle lens at reasonable price, is the choice only between the sigma 10-20 ex and the pentax zoom one? Any old manual wide angle lens? I see only 28mm but with digital it's not so wide....

Thanks,

Btw i'm from Italy, nice to be finally part of this nice forum.

Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:34 PM   #2

welcome to the board lando
as far as wides go-- get out your wallet.!! that was easy.

the two sigmas you have are going to be very adaquate for the time being. eventually you will find out what you shoot at the most and then you should start considering primes.

the only experience i have with the 135f2.5 is with thetak bayonet. 2 versions. one takes 52mm filters and is non-MC, it makes a nice paper weight. the other takes 58mm and --get out the wallet. from what i've seen the tak135s don't rate that high.

roy
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:15 PM   #3

Actually the non APO Sigma 70-300mmis darn decent (for almost half the cost) and darn rugged little lens too

(See http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80 )

Actually it and the Tamron are near identical in specs and price (Tam generally a bit higher) BUT do not confuse it with the Tamron 75-300 which is a decidedly less capable lens... half the marco mag for one thing... 1:3.9 instead of 1:2)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:27 AM   #4

thanks for the replies,

my 70-300 is an apo lens, and it seems good, just wondering if it's very different from the latest one with the red band, or it's just an estethic difference.

I think i'll save my money for a 50mm 1.4 at this point, just deciding if paying 200$ for the a new fa ( if i can find it, it's always out of stock everywhere ) or buying on ebay an old 1.4 takumar screw mount.

Old Mar 7, 2007, 11:44 AM   #5

all of the smc 1.4s are good.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 2:43 PM   #6

I have the 135mm 2.5 Takumar myself and I kind of like it. Sure, it's prone to flares and chromatic aberration, but you do get good reach with decent sharpness and brightness. Yesterday I was using it stacked with a Vivitar 2x teleconverter and got some decently sharp pictures out of it, though I'm sure not as sharp as any of the decent 70-300 FA lenses available.

For wide angle, I think the best deal by far is the kit lens, though it is prone to vignetting at 18mm. I never found a good deal on an older wide angle lens. Even the 28mm 2.8 lenses get pretty pricey on Ebay. I ended up getting one, but it was a Tamron. At least it's multicoated.

I have the screw mount Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 as well. I've taken a few hundred shots with it and am rather pleased with it. Again, it is prone to flares and CA, though I didn't have noticeable aberrations on many pictures at all. I actually prefer using it to a K mount M lens because I like being able to use aperture priority mode, and thus exposure compensation adjustments.

I haven't touched the lens in a while though because I happened upon a cheap deal on an SMC 50mm 1.7 A lens. Got it at an antique store for $35, and that included a working camera and an external flash.

Lando, odds are that if you do enjoy photography, and you're willing to spend the cash, you'll probably end up getting that 50mm FA lens sooner or later, and I don't think I've heard of anyone who bought it and felt like they didn't get their money's worth.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:34 PM   #7

Hi Lando and welcome to the forum,

I can't help you with the wide angle. The widest I have is the kit lens. I have noted that Daniel and others produce darn good pics with that Zenitar 16mm manual lens for pretty cheap. Adorama has the 500mm 1.4 lens in stock, with rebate, at a pretty good price.

IMO, 135mm primes are so cheap that everyone should pick up one to play with. You certainly cannot buy any lens with more reach and a maximum aperture of f2.8 for twice the money.

My Sigma 70-300mm APO has been a pretty decent lens. Try playing with what you have right now and see what you are lacking before you you order anything else.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 1:32 AM   #8

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
IMO, 135mm primes are so cheap that everyone should pick up one to play with. You certainly cannot buy any lens with more reach and a maximum aperture of f2.8 for twice the money.
But it really depends on that is a FL you can work with....and in even most DSLR's 135's are a 200mm effective FL... that is pretty strong.

Even my Sigma 70-300mm with Tamron 1.4x TC is still near 150mm min and sometimes problematic... in the time it would take to remove the TC and still near effective 105mm at the bottome end.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:28 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies.

I'll stick with my lenses for now, if i make the deal i get an old takumar 1.4 to play with.

Anyone has tried one of those wide angle lens that u attach to a normal lens? those 0.42x and so on.

I was thinking maybe to couple one of those to the kit lens.