Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 8, 2007, 6:28 AM   #11

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
KEH used to have around 10 autofocus Pentax prime all the time . The last few months there is none. Period. The only way to beat it is to wait or go for manual focus lens which are just as great but less convenient . That is all. And you save a bundle

Daniel , Toronto
Yup that is the sad fact of the K100 and 10D success (and to a degre ist's before)....the old previously couldn't give them away... old QUALITY pentax glass is disappearing fast or commanding largew prices.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 9:20 AM   #12

Tim

When did you actually see this lens in stock?
The reason I ask is I have pre purchased this lens along with the AF 540FGZ back on 02/17/2007.
I have not received any confirmation from Adorama & the order is still pending.

My dad's given me his 50mm -M 1.7.
Great lens but trying to focus on my 5 & 3 yr old hyperactive kids is challenging to say the least

Regards

Del
VHDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 9:33 AM   #13
Administrator

Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 AF Lens for $219.95 at B&H (before rebate)

Oops... They showed it in stock again a few days ago. But, it looks like they're out again now.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:19 PM   #14

i ordered the fa 1.4 in these days at B&H, but i had the website notify me when it was in stock and ordered it immediately.

I'm waiting for it to arrive to my inlaws in NY, so when I'll go there in april I can get it.

btw, in Rome it's impossible to find any pentax lens, everything is nikon or canon sigh....
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 4:02 PM   #15

You might also chedk out B&H's used dept from time to time.

I just picked up a used SIGMA 28-70mm f/2.8-4 for about half price.....

And that is the nice benefit of the K's SR.... 2.8, (even 4) is fast enough usually, and until you get over 100mm they are fairly inexpensive.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 4:59 PM   #16

As long as you take photos of non-moving objects, you can use whatever aperture you feel comfortable and what gives you best DOF, sharpness and so on.

My problem are the fast moving objects - SR doesn't help here.

If the 50/1.4 or 50/1.7 F-lens stay at that price, I might as well save for a 28-70/2.8 or the like from Tamron or Sigma. I just thought a good fast sharp prime would be a good idea... but I am not the only one to think so. Oh well.

Missed an auction yesterday for an FA 50/1.7 that went for a reasonable price - all other lensesseem to hit the "new/unused" close to $300 - at that price you won't need to bid on ebay, can buy new (if available of course).

Will keep my eyes open but I don't think I'll be lucky with that - never was in lotto or in auctions - I can see no reason whythat should change all of a sudden. :sad:

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:10 AM   #17

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
As long as you take photos of non-moving objects, you can use whatever aperture you feel comfortable and what gives you best DOF, sharpness and so on.

My problem are the fast moving objects - SR doesn't help here.
Well even a fast lens likely won't help terribly their either, unless under very bright light or like ISO 1600

It will gain you a stop of two (depending on f/) and might get you up to 1/15th sec possibly a 30th... but still rather motion blur/shutter jab prone.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 1:39 AM   #18

I just purchased a brand new Pentax SMC F50mm F1.7 AF for $125.00 at a local camera shop here in Florida. If you're interested, I can check to see if he has any more in stock at that price. I thought the price was decent so I grabbed it, especially with everyone buying up these Pentax lenses these days. I'm using it on my Pentax K10D.
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:14 AM   #19

I just purchase the Pentax smc P-FA 50mm f/1.4 for $199 from Bel Air Camera. They didn't send a tracking number or anything when I ordered from their website, but I had the lens in four days (I'm on the same coast).

http://www.belaircamera.com/pentax1700_1.php

r_miklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 1:04 PM   #20

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Ok - I think you all know that prices for good Pentax lenses are unbelievable high at the moment, but looking at this I really feel like crying:

1. What are my choices? I checked KEH and eBay and some Germany based sellers - prices and availabilty are crazy.

Any ideas for me?

This is my advice based on my own experience:

1. Cry

2. Order a new FA 1.4

3. Pay and cry again, there is pain involved.

4. Forget what you paid (quickly done) and enjoy one of the best lenses you will ever own. The money would have been spent anyway, but now you have the lens.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote