Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 10, 2007, 3:20 AM   #1

Hi,

I just grab my standard lens Pentax M 50mm f:1.7 from my old Pentax ME Super after abandon on attic of my mother house for many year . If not mistaken I haven't used it since 1985. Surprising me this camera is in good working condition. After I put 2 new batteries on it work perfectly, although I didn't check its precisions.

Teasing with backward compatibility concept of Pentax equipments, I try to attached on my Pentax *ist DL to check its function, but I'm so confused to find the setting of the camera (speed & aperture). I also can't take picture (no captured picture when I pressed the shutter). I realize some thing wrong w my camera's setting as many Pentaxian here use old lenses on their DSLR camera with successful results.

Finally I surrender to try by my self and offer helpful Pentaxians here to help me.

Thanks,

RTogog
rtogog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2007, 9:49 AM   #2
TDN

see my reply here

You've just discovered the most interesting part of shooting with a pentax
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:04 AM   #3

The first thing you need to do if you haven't already done it is go into the settings and change the one to allow you to use the aperture ring, the default is no (on the K100 the option is [Using aperture ring] - think it is similar on the DL/DS).

Then use M mode, set the aperture on the ring, press the AEL button (temporarily stops down the lens so the camera can meter) and push the shutter. The camera won't automatically change the shutter speed when you line up a new shot - if the exposure is different, remember to push the AEL button again to re-meter (it's actually convenient if you want to maintain the same shutter speed/aperture settings throughout a series).

Remember that the camera won't release the shutter if you have it set to auto focus and it doesn't think it is in focus. You can either leave it that way and always wait for the focus indicator light to come on before shooting, or switch to manual focus - then the camera will take the picture regardless of whether it thinks its in focus or not.

If the camera is set for any setting other than M and B (i.e., Av, Tv, P etc.) you can still take the picture, but the camera won't stop down the lens. That means that you are shooting wide open - if you are shooting in low light and want the lens wide open, this can be convenient because the camera automatically meters and sets the shutter speed without having to push the AEL button. However, if you are shooting in bright sunlight with a 1.7 lens, your pictures will be overexposed, or your DOF could be way too small for what you want.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:52 AM   #4

Long live Pentax & Pentaxian!

My old lenses just come alive again after very long sleeping.

Pls,Imagine neglectful since 1985.

Thank you for your patience & kind advice.

RTogog
rtogog is offline   Reply With Quote