Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 16, 2007, 8:59 PM   #11

i know what you mean about the flare effect, and I'll try and see if a homeade hood will fix it. As for weight, I make sure to hold one hand under the lense while im shooting, it more balanced so i can keep steady that way.

Im going to get a 1.4x rear teleconverter from tamron after i get back from my spring trip, so I can either shoot with just that, or use the tcon too with my 300mm lense, and have a nice 710mm lense :G but yeah, def gonna see about making a hood for it, or modifying one of my current ones maybe.

*thanks for the comments, I always appreciate some good tips
xfxgeforced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 3:42 AM   #12

Well I have to admit, that looks better than a lot of front TC's I have seen, but I can see some differences (beyond the flash coverage)

I'd also be interested to see some normal shots (not macro) at full zoom, with and without.

And what about vignetting can you still use the full zoom with it on and not get any?... 7mm quite a step down plus the distance in front of lens. I would think it would towards the 70mm end.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 3:19 PM   #13

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Well I have to admit, that looks better than a lot of front TC's I have seen, but I can see some differences (beyond the flash coverage)

I'd also be interested to see some normal shots (not macro) at full zoom, with and without.

And what about vignetting can you still use the full zoom with it on and not get any?... 7mm quite a step down plus the distance in front of lens. I would think it would towards the 70mm end.
actually, there is no vignetting, even at 70mm as far as i know, and ill get on that with the photos you asked for

*picture B is with the TC
Old Mar 17, 2007, 4:02 PM   #14

here's a comparison, shot A being without TC, and shot B being with. There is a noticeable quality drop, but some of that has to do with the fact that it was handheld and the shutter was 1/90s with the TC, and like 1/150s without, so it might just be blurry, but i doubt it, since 1/90s is pretty quick.

I guess ill use the 1.4x soley, unless im spying on someone :evil:

A:

B:

Old Mar 17, 2007, 4:29 PM   #15

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi xfxgeforced,

The obvious advantage of this setup is that you don't lose light (it would be @1.5 stops with a 1.7x rear TC),
Well if he had to drop from 1/180th to 1/90th guess actually there is at least a stop loss of light. (he didn't mention if any apperture change) even with a/this front TC.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 4:43 PM   #16

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi xfxgeforced,

The obvious advantage of this setup is that you don't lose light (it would be @1.5 stops with a 1.7x rear TC),
Well if he had to drop from 1/180th to 1/90th guess actually there is at least a stop loss of light. (he didn't mention if any apperture change) even with a/this front TC.
good point, it was auto exposure
Old Mar 17, 2007, 4:51 PM   #17

xfxgeforced wrote:
Quote:
Im going to get a 1.4x rear teleconverter from tamron after i get back from my spring trip, so I can either shoot with just that, or use the tcon too with my 300mm lense, and have a nice 710mm lense :G
Well besides any optical complications that might cause it would probably make the SR very ineffective as it would still be compensating for just 300mm

That was a disappointment with the Tamron 1.4x rear TC....it doesn't report the magnification factor to the camera (not sure there actually are any that do, as it is all so new for SLR's) and unfortunately if the camera see a communicating lens you can't manual set the SR comp factor.

With just the 1.4x I find very little but noticeable difference (at low shutter speeds) in the SR.... but stacking them as you mention would probably get quite problematic SR wise.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 4:52 PM   #18

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Hi Hayward,

The difference in shutter speed can be due to differing lighting conditions or (more likely) closing down the FOV. Olympus clearly states in their included literature that there is no appreciable loss of light gathering ability when using the Tcon 17. I would tend to take them at their word.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 4:58 PM   #19

Could also be the 62-55mm step down factor mismatch I suppose, especially if wide open. (vs it on a matched lens)
Old Mar 17, 2007, 4:59 PM   #20

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Hi Hayward,

The difference in shutter speed can be due to differing lighting conditions or (more likely) closing down the FOV. Olympus clearly states in their included literature that there is no appreciable loss of light gathering ability when using the Tcon 17. I would tend to take them at their word.

Scott
the shots were taken one after there other with a constant amount of light, and i even moved more into the sun to make sure and it still stayed the same.