Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 10, 2007, 2:20 PM   #1

only one shot for now, but just wanted to say I couldn't be more pleased. It's crystal clear, and has great extension. Now i just need a 62-55mm step down ring and I can mount my tcon17 on it for a little extra

here's a quick shot I took in the backyard at 300mm on macro mode, forgot it was in macro still!

xfxgeforced is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2007, 9:29 PM   #2

A "keeper" for sure!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 12:44 AM   #3

Hi,

Totally agree !!.

I like its "bokeh" too, looks natural & so pleasant on my eyes.

Regards,

Rtogog
rtogog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 3:19 AM   #4

xfxgeforced wrote:
Quote:
It's crystal clear, and has great extension. Now i just need a 62-55mm step down ring and I can mount my tcon17 on it for a little extra
You reallly don't want to do that for TWO reasons.... one due to the step down you are going to get vignetting wide. very likely.

Second you will be making a good lens likely much compromised..... if you really want a TC get a rear one, like the inexpensive but VERY goo Tamron 1.4x rear mount TC (where they belong.... pre not post magnifying.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 3:26 AM   #5

which model is that lens X? I'm looking to get a 70-300 myself
StevePMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 3:56 AM   #6

StevePMo wrote:
Quote:
which model is that lens X? I'm looking to get a 70-300 myself
http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-AF70-300mm-4-5-6-Pentax-Cameras/dp/B000EXR0VK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/103-0122064-4292643?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=11729876 32&sr=8-2
that one, and if you sign up for the amazon prime trial, you can get 1 day shipping for $1.99 like i did or 2-day for free
Old Mar 11, 2007, 4:08 AM   #7

thaks for the quick reply !!! it's between this one and the Sigma APO version, still going back and forth !! lol

oh, and howdy neighbor, Chesterfield in da house !!!

edit: should i jump on this? http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-AF70-30...161698-9214258
StevePMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 6:33 PM   #8

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
xfxgeforced wrote:
Quote:
It's crystal clear, and has great extension. Now i just need a 62-55mm step down ring and I can mount my tcon17 on it for a little extra
You reallly don't want to do that for TWO reasons.... one due to the step down you are going to get vignetting wide. very likely.

Second you will be making a good lens likely much compromised..... if you really want a TC get a rear one, like the inexpensive but VERY goo Tamron 1.4x rear mount TC (where they belong.... pre not post magnifying.
okay, to test this, after receiving my 62-55 stepdown ring today, i put the tcon17 tele converter on my 70-300 lense, and took a comparison shot to see if i could notice a quality difference. I tried to make them as close as possible, but i had to move back with the tcon17 on and up when not to get the same shot in macro mode (has to be nearly 300mm for macro at all times). anyway, here are the shots, tell me which you think is the tcon. I zoomed in as far as possible on one of the little words with each setup and noticed no difference in color or offset, and even zoomed all the way out, the tcon didnt create any noticable vignetting.

The examples:

- A -

-B -

Old Mar 15, 2007, 6:34 PM   #9

just realized it's obvious to tell which is which because of the amount of flash diffusion :|
Old Mar 16, 2007, 5:28 PM   #10

Hi xfxgeforced,

One thing that you might want to consider in using a Tcon 17 on any lens is that it adds significant weight to the end of the lens, and if the front element rotates when focusing, this will place more stress on your AF motor. It's probably best to manually focus with this combo if your lens rotates when focusing.

The obvious advantage of this setup is that you don't lose light (it would be @1.5 stops with a 1.7x rear TC), but you might find that the Tcon 17 adds some flare, CA, and PF in high contrast situations, moreso than a good rear converter. You can cut down the flare with a home-made hood -- the Tcon doesn't have filter threads. The CA and PF can be dealt with in PP.

I have used a similar combo in the past, and got good results -- not spectacular mind you, but definitely acceptable, especially considering the cost of the components. The A*, F*, or FA* 300s + P F 1.7x AFA will eat it alive, but are slower, heavier, and considerably more expensive.

Here's one I took in '05 with the DS, Tamron 70-300 LD macro (an old model) and the Tcon 17.

It was shot at 170mm (from the lens, so that makes it 289mm with the Tcon 17), f9.5, 1/500, ISO 800, and was at the end of a series where the GBH caught and ate a good sized bluegill. . . totally a lucky catch!!

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote