Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 11, 2007, 5:35 PM   #1

Hello,

the Pentax 12-24mm lens seems perfect for interior shots and I'm looking at buying it for my K10D. However, I can't figure out what flash to get?

The AF360FGZ says that it only covers 24mm to 85mm. How should get flash coverage for this lens?

If the AF540FGZ is the answer, can somebody please tell me where to get one? NOBODY seems to have them in stock. And I'm not sure the 540 will help anyway?

Does anyone have a solution?

jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2007, 4:19 AM   #2

Have you looked into something like the Sto-Fen Omnibounce? I don't know of any flashes that will cover that wide of an angle without some sort of diffuser.
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:32 AM   #3

Hi jaynlisa,

According to the manuals of both the AF360 and AF 540, the retractable wide angle diffuser in the flash heads will expand the coverage to @ 20mm on a 35mm camera (or about 13mm on a Pentax DSLR -- same FOV). This is with the flash aimed straight on. This might not be your best option tho. . . If you bounce the flash off the ceiling, or better yet a back wall and the ceiling (you'd need the swivel head of the 540 for this), you should be able to get the coverage that you need, plus a nice soft, shadowless light source.

A myriad of other diffusers are available, including a lot of DIY solutions. This should not be too much of a problem.

Caveat-- I don't have anything this wide, but I'm confident in my answer. Also, when using this diffuser panel, you should avoid rapid shooting, as the heat of the flash tube will discolor and burn the diffuser panel if not given sufficient time to cool between shots.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:00 PM   #4

snostorm,

Thanks very much for the info - exactly what I needed to know.

Now, do you know anywhere that has the 540?

Cheers!

Jay
Old Mar 12, 2007, 4:54 PM   #5

the sigma 500 has a built in diffuser that covers up to 17mm. it's the widest i know of. at 12mm you get the equiv. of an 35mm cam. i don't know if that will work tho. send the lens here and i'll be happy to test it for you. other than that you will need some kind of diffuser or a slave flash.

actually if these are available locally you could test them yourself.

roy
Old Mar 12, 2007, 5:23 PM   #6

Sigma 500? is that a P-TTL flash? Is it an alternative to the Pentax AF 540 FGZ?

Thanks,

Jay
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:07 PM   #7

And actually the Promaster 7000M is another alternative too.

Far less costly, even new and often had for ~$30 used.... and is P-TTL compliant. (In Pentax version)

Even to the degree of motorized Flash head zoom auto zooming to adapt to a 24-105mm lens to its at the moment zoom FL.... as well as compesateing for EFFECTIVE FL... not just true.. And a Sigma 18-50mm lens at that, not even the Pentax kit lens... which flash would see as a 25-70mm lens flash head/zoom spread/focus wise.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote