Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 12, 2007, 6:24 PM   #1

Okay, I bought the Tamron 28-200mm and found toomuch CA wide open for my tastes... has anyone used the Vivitar Series 1 28-210? Does anyone know if it has the same problems?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2007, 7:13 AM   #2

I don't know the Vivitar lens, but it reminds me of my Voigtlaender 28-210 zoom lens:

http://www.voigtlaender.de/cms/voigt...san6m4duk.html

What do you say? Is that the lens you are talking about? If so, maybe they just re-brand the lens which originates from another manufacturer?
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:32 AM   #3

Hi,

Which version did you get? Was it a film or digital version? I have the Sigma and only get some CA when shooting into High Contrast areas with the sun in the wrong position.Post an example.

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 9:58 AM   #4

nick,

what's the serial number?? that would help.

roy
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:43 PM   #5

Film Version; Model:271D; Serial: 906373
Attached example is 100% crop, untouched. Quite soft and a good bit of CA around the nose and lips for me.

Note: This is at f/8... I can't find anyof the shots I took wide open.
Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:18 AM   #6

f/8... wow.

Is this at 200mm? A crop from the center or the edge? Tamron's zoom lenses tend to be only so-so in the edges... according to tests other people made.

This is no camera shake I suppose as I think there was enough light... at first I thought also "out of focus" but I guess since you get a lot of similar shots we can dump that idea right away.

Doesn't look very sharp to me... hm.

I'd check center vs. corner sharpness at different f-stops and zoom (i.e. at 28mm, 105mm and 200mm).

Can read here on a tamron review which shows that corner blurring: http://www.bobatkins.com/photography..._18_250_3.html

HTH,
Th.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:59 AM   #7

This is a 100% crop from the center of the photo. Have a lot from the zoo... all are similar in results. I will do some test shots today at different FL and f/values. No SR on the istD... but a K100 is in the verynear future .
Old Mar 15, 2007, 9:34 AM   #8

Hi Nick,

That is the film version. It has the 72mm front lens. First, Your focus is a little off. Second, The sun is high and more on the subject than behind you.

After playing with this example this was what I came up with. It is still not really sharp, But you could have touched up the focus manually a little.

Rudy
Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2007, 2:48 PM   #9

OK - I had a go with sharpness in mind, that's the before-after piccie:

what I found:

- motion blur was there, only a tad, but it was more horizontal than vertical movement according to a deconvolution guess

- I can't say for sure if this is off-focus or blur from the lens. The sharpened picture seems to show a hint of DOF, but that might just be me :?

- there IS quite some detail in the lion... but it shouldn't need such a huge amount of post-processing to see it. The sharpened version already looks unnatural. :/

COMPARISON (maybe that helps a bit, too)

This is what my Pentax-FA 28-105/4-5.6 IF gives me at ISO1600 and f/5.6 fully zoomed (105mm):

This is a 100% crop, I only used a denoiser for the color noise at ISO1600. No other post-processing.

This is what the sharpening looks like for the whole picture:

- no sharpening
- medium (a lot moredetails become visible)
- maximum (at least I won't go any further - artifacts start to show up with 90% JPEG quality, butquite niceto look at from normal viewing distance on my screen - has an almost 3D-feeling to it)

Sidenote: I found fur (from animals) to look "blurry"/"fuzzy" at a lot of photos, especially if you "pixel-peep" at 100%.

Post your pics, will have a look at them, my current feelings --> you SHOULD get sharper pictures, at least now and then

Regards,
Th.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 5:56 PM   #10

Hi again,

I would not get the Vivitar 28-210mm lens. I had a Tokina 28-210mm lens and found it to getsoft at 210mm. It did not have the warm saturated color or contrast . The coating was not that great either.

I played a little more with the picture. Let me know what you think. Also next time try a polarizer.

Rudy

Attached Images