Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 16, 2007, 10:12 PM   #1

This was taken 3 months ago when I was in NYC. I am posting this today instead of when I first took the picture because today I had some free time to play with my pictures.

http://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?i...091panamy3.jpg

I said this many times already but I'll say it again. I love this lens. This was a single shot just cropped to make it look wide.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2007, 7:46 PM   #2

Very nicely done superakuma! I like it a lot! That is a great lens.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:01 PM   #3

Thanks. Have you picked up your copy yet? I remember you asking about this lens a while back ago.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:24 PM   #4

Great shot! How did you do it btw? Is it a series of shots that are stitched? If thats just from one shot, thats amazing and I assume that you must have cropped the top and bottom. In any case, thanks for sharing it with us! Also, I like how the clouds look.
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 11:00 PM   #5

Contriver wrote:
Quote:
Great shot! How did you do it btw? Is it a series of shots that are stitched? If thats just from one shot, thats amazing and I assume that you must have cropped the top and bottom. In any case, thanks for sharing it with us! Also, I like how the clouds look.
It is from ONE shot, only. I took this shot while I was on the Statue of Liberty island. Yes I did crop the sea and part of the sky to make it better. I think I bumped up the contrast a little bit too much though.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:22 AM   #6

Hey, is this the lens you have?

http://www.adorama.com/SG1020PXAF.html
Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:36 PM   #7

Contriver wrote:
Quote:
Hey, is this the lens you have?

http://www.adorama.com/SG1020PXAF.html
Yep, and that is me giving the review on #2
Old Mar 31, 2007, 10:40 PM   #8

Awesome

BTW, why is this lens so much money when its maximum aperture is only f4? The kit lens does f3.5 at 18mm, is there a big difference between 10mm and 18mm?
Old Mar 31, 2007, 11:08 PM   #9

Contriver wrote:
Quote:
Awesome

BTW, why is this lens so much money when its maximum aperture is only f4? The kit lens does f3.5 at 18mm, is there a big difference between 10mm and 18mm?
Someone who understands lens could explain it better than I can. The cost of lens isn't just about the speed of it. Their are a lot of other factors like the type of coating and how it is made will add to the cost of the lens itself. I think that being it so wide that is why it is expensive. Also this is Sigma's EX series lens which means that it is their TOP OF THE LINE so expect to pay top price for it.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:56 PM   #10

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
Contriver wrote:
Quote:
Awesome

Someone who understands lens could explain it better than I can. The cost of lens isn't just about the speed of it. Their are a lot of other factors like the type of coating and how it is made will add to the cost of the lens itself. I think that being it so wide that is why it is expensive. Also this is Sigma's EX series lens which means that it is their TOP OF THE LINE so expect to pay top price for it.
I've posted this part of this elsewhere, but:

Wide angle lenses are complex to make.

Telephoto lenses are actually SHORTER than the focal length specified (e.g. a 300mm telephoto lens is shorter than 300mm), because the designSHORTENS the lens optically, without modifying the "effective" focal length of the lens. This is called"telephoto" construction.

In Wide angle lenses, the distance from the back lens element to the film or CCD plane, is LONGER than the focal length of the lens. (e.g. a 28mm lens) So in Wide angle lenses, the design must LENGTHEN the lens optically to clear the reflex mirror, without modifying the effective focal length of the lens. This is called "retrofocal" construction. The combination of a wide field of view, and the "retrofocal" construction makes wide angle lenses complicated to design and build. There is a lot of glass involved, with complex shapes, which is even more complex if you have a zoom wide angle lens.

This Sigma 10-20mm wide zoom is VERY wide, but there is hardly any barrel distortion or purple fringing, and it's sharp as well!!!A zoom this wide is VERY complex to design and build, and it uses some low dispersion glass & aspheric lens elements. These factorsall all contribute to the price.

The difference between an 18mm and a 10mm is huge. The angle of view is around 75 degrees for an 18mm, but about 110 degrees for a 10mm. This is almost 50% more!!

I have one, by the way!!!!!

dnas is offline   Reply With Quote