Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 17, 2007, 7:10 PM   #1

Well, I have had a hands on with the K10D and love a first sight. As I already have experience with the 18-55 kit lens I made a concentrated effort to purchase a walk around lens to complement this camera as I will be keeping my istDL.

So, my beef. Sigma offers a 18-50 f2.8EX DC or a 18-50 2.8 EX DC Macro but finding a stocking dealer has proved impossible. I trust few online camera dealers, let alone placing a special order. Yes, I can get the Pentax 14-45 (correct me if I am wrong) F4 at a good price but wonder what Pentax is thinking. Is it just me or is the quest for a fast Pentax mountlens impossible. Pentax? Why an F4 lens and a midrange price after your history and the possible one year wait for the Star series to become available?

If anyone has some help to solve my quandry, I am more than open for ideas.
robert383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2007, 7:55 PM   #2

Hi Robert,

Cameta Camera has been putting the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 EX DC in Pentax mt on ebay for the past few weeks, at a good price of @ $300. This typically happens when Sigma supercedes one of their models (in this case with the EX DC Macro).

I haven't bought from them, but have heard of mostly good things on different fora (I say mostly because there will always be some who are never satisified, no matter how good a dealer is). They are an authorized Sigma dealer, and offer the full US warranty.

Pentax is trying to address the lens shortage, and at the same time expand their lens line. They doubled the size of their lens factory in Vietnam last year -- it came online in the fall, but they have yet to catch up to the added demand. I'm hoping that we'll see the fruits of their expanded production capability later this year.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 8:02 PM   #3

Thank you Scott!
robert383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 3:36 AM   #4

Be sure it is the EX and be ready to spend the money.... the standard DC 18-50mm leaves some to be desired in corner to corner eveness in low/wide open f/ light.

I think they cut that DC (Digital crop only lens) corner a little to sharply on that one.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote