Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 18, 2007, 2:42 AM   #1

Looking for an alternative to the Kit lens, because I sold mine when I sold my DL... I was thinking something around a Zenitar 16mm fisheye + Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8... any other suggestions?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2007, 3:08 AM   #2

The SIGMA 18-50 is an alternative in absolute terms. Though in my experience full wide suffers some corner darkening full wide in low light.... the Pentax doesn't in my experience.

Such as a flat post sunset sky or even light level overcast.

The SIGMA 18-50 is a DIGITAL(crop) ONLY lens (DC).... but I think they cut that corner a little too close for wide open and wide situations. :?

Oh and of course I mean the STANDARD 18-50mm like P Kit also f3.5-5.6.... not the 2.8 throughout and $$$ EX.

Now on the other hand if you don't have to be 18mm wide... the SIGMA 28-70 is a FINE lens and especially for the cost, FAST too (f2.8-4)

I love that lens.

Even with a mediocre $$ (but rather decent) 0.5x WA conv lens on the front of it gets it down to 14mm if need be, is superior to the DC 18-50mm IMHO..

PS cheap wide angle front converters do much better than cheap front tele ones. (Since you are condensing not magnifying optical errors) .

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 8:43 PM   #3

inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Looking for an alternative to the Kit lens, because I sold mine when I sold my DL... I was thinking something around a Zenitar 16mm fisheye + Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8... any other suggestions?
Well, if I had the cash, I might look at the new Pentax 16-50mm f2.8. Of course, if that is your decision, we expect a full an complete report!

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:48 PM   #4

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
inneyeseakay wrote:
Quote:
Well, if I had the cash, I might look at the new Pentax 16-50mm f2.8. Of course, if that is your decision, we expect a full an complete report!

Tim
I don't have that kind of cash either.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:17 PM   #5

Just to reiterate what I muddled a bit before.... I'd stay away from the low end SIGMA 18-50mm DC lens... for the above mentioned reasons.

I'm sure the many hundred $$ EX 18-50mm is likely just fine.
Too many corners seem to have been too closely cut on the DC (crop only/economy lens).

I would go look for a used Kit lens before it.... or go for the faster/better about same cost Sigma 28-70mm.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 1:29 PM   #6

Inn...Ebay has the Kit lenses for around 50-60 bucks if your bid wins out! I'm liking my kit lens too much right niow to bother with another! Well there are some I'm looking at....but you know how that goes!LOL

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 4:18 PM   #7

I've been using a Pentax 35-80 as my primary lens since I got my K10D. It's a little less wide angle than the kit lens, but has a little more reach. In particular, I've got one of these:

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/lenses/z...-80f4-5.6.html

They are decent lenses, and can be found on e-bay (and probably other sources as well) for under $40.

Granted, I may be replacing this as my walk-around lens. I just grabbed an autofocus sigma 28-105, which I really haven't had a chance to use yet to see how well I like it...

Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 5:05 PM   #8

Inn..Here is one on Ebay right now. Last bid was $5.00 and it has filters too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/pentax-f-smc-1-4...QQcmdZViewItem

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 7:35 PM   #9

Have 28-200, looking for something wider... preferabally 20mm or wider
Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:42 PM   #10

nick,
price range??
i've seen remarkable results from the sigma 17-70.