Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 21, 2007, 5:50 PM   #11

Quick update:

I ordered the Tamron 70-300 (new, from a regular store)... found it for a very nice price, even below current ebay auctions, so didn't looked any further.

Thanks for all the help, especially the hints on old and new models and macro differences really helped.

With this lens I complete my little collection in the zoom range area, 18-300mm are covered now with 3 lenses - this should keep me going for a long while.

Regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:59 PM   #12

Yeah until you want to get into still life 1:1 macros (where you can be right on top of it if lighting is right) or distant landscapes, (sunrises/sets, etc)

Should keep you entertained for a while though.

Another thing you might look into is the Tamron 1.4x Teleconverter.... very little(under a stop) light or IQ impact... and adds ~40% FL to all your lenses..... fairly modest cost too.... around $60 (B&H for one)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 2:55 AM   #13

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Yeah until you want to get into still life 1:1 macros (where you can be right on top of it if lighting is right) or distant landscapes, (sunrises/sets, etc)

Should keep you entertained for a while though.

Another thing you might look into is the Tamron 1.4x Teleconverter.... very little(under a stop) light or IQ impact... and adds ~40% FL to all your lenses..... fairly modest cost too.... around $60 (B&H for one)
Well, as for macros... I'll try for SOME stuff in the garden department for sure and will see how well I do with these lenses. The 1:1 macro lenses are very expensive so I'll only invest when I am sure I'll really need it.

I don't worry about landscape photography at the moment - I never had a true wide angle lens on my cameras and if the need arises I would try for a stitched panorama. Sure - I could try to replace my kit lens, that starts at 18mm, but what budget wide lens, preferrable with a tad of zoom is available below 18mm?

Maybe a good wide converter could help on the kit lens? Will see how often I use which lens and then start another thread on this.

Teleconverter, hm. My Oly 770 had something like 360mm on the tele end, where the Tamron provides 300*1.5=450mm now - that's already a step up. I'll keep your recommendation in mind, very much appreciated! Lets hope for good weather/light when the Tamron arrives so I can test it right away

/wave
Old Mar 24, 2007, 7:34 AM   #14

The lens arrived and as promised here's one of the first shots:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=11

Thanks for all your help - I will do some more tests but I already think this lens is much better quality-wise than current 28-210. Not a walkaround lens - but it has it's special uses!

/wave
Old Mar 31, 2007, 9:51 AM   #15

thkn777 wrote:
Quote:
Not a walkaround lens - but it has it's special uses!

/wave
Depends where you are walking

And actaully I am going the other direction... just ordered a used Pentax Takumar 70-210... I'll be interested to see how in compares in that mid to low ramge vs the S 70-300mm... a stop faster anyways.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote