Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 28, 2007, 1:30 AM   #1

I want to buy a lens to replace the kit lens that comes with the K100D.

I want a very sharp lens and i`m thinking of the 40mm f/2.8 which seems to have very good critics everywhere.

If i`d buy a 16-45mm f/4 ,will it be able to deliver as sharp and need pics as the 40mm?
I`d have more range but like i said my main purpose is to find the sharpest things around for a reasonable price.
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2007, 5:11 AM   #2

I do not have either lens. But since a good prime lensis almost always sharper than an equally good zoom, I would wager that the 40mm f2.8 would best fit your requirements. Do you already have a 50mm f1.4 or f1.7? They are slightly longer but offer really great sharpness.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 4:56 PM   #3

I have the 16-45 mm. Optically it's very fine, but can't beat the 50 mm 1.4 or the older manual focus A*-lenses in my bag. Since the 40 mm brags with a Limited in the lens name I suppose it's optically as good as they get.

I find the 16-45 dissappointing mechanically, considering it's price. It was my first, and for some time only, AF lens so maybe I'm a bit biased towards the super sturdy all metal A*-lenses. But I still find it very "rattelly" and loosely assembled, and it has a very "plastic" feeling. Maybe that's my old-fashioned way to judge things, maybe that should be spelled "it's very lightweight and fast focussing".

Nevertheless, it's a lot of wide-angel for the money, that's what I wanted it for and that's what I use it for.

Samples, first the 16-45 @ 16 mm, f6.7, 1/45 sec, iso 800:
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 4:58 PM   #4

And then the Pentax FA 50 mm 1.4 @ f1.7, 1/90 sec iso 800:
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:15 PM   #5

Hi, I have the kit lens along with the 16-45 and the 10-17. The 16-45 as compared to the kit - is quite a bit more substantial. The barrel is much larger with the primary lens being massive when compared to the kit lens. It is built much better. Now the 10-17 is a precision instrument - a swiss watch, all metal construction, a real jewel. The 16-45 is much closer to the 10-17 rather than the kit. I have found nothing wrong with the 16-45

All of that being said, I have found that the 16-45 is much sharper, and does not suffer from the problems of the 18-55, especially in the lower end - viginetting. I like the sharpness and the colors. The 16-45 is my walk around lens - on my K100D all the time. In that its a zoom, it is not going to be as sharp as the 40 limited. From what I have read the 40 limited, is one of the best lenses Pentax has. So I doubt - if your looking for something razor sharp you, will be pleased with anything less than a prime. That being said, the 16-45 for a ZOOM, is really exremely good. Now I am not a professional and I wear glasses, but when compared with the 18-55 I can see a difference.

Attached Images

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote