Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:41 PM   #1

The LBA is starting again and I can't make up my mnd between these three lenses.

I keep going to the Pentax website and viewing the discontinued smc P-FA 80-200mm F2.8 ED(IF) The funpart wold be finding one :sad:

And if it is not that lens then the Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG, at least it is available.

Or the Tokina AT-X 828 AF Pro AF 80-200mm f/2.8, again it is available

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:36 PM   #2

Not that I need any competition, but I have been watching prices on manual focus Tamron Adaptall 80-200mm f2.8 and Tokina 80-200mm f2.8 lenses. They seem to be going for between $250 and $300. As I look at the lenses I have in stock, I realize that all of the best ones are manual focus. Either I am a camera snob who disdains these new fangled auto focus lenses or I am a cheap SOB. Personally, I am betting on cheap SOB :lol:. I don't know how much improvement the new auto focus lenses might offer?

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:28 AM   #3

I have the Tamron SP 200-500mm f/5.6 which is manual focus.

Sometimes though you need that faster action and AF will give me that. I just can't find the Pentax lens anywhere.

:sad:

Crash
Old Apr 2, 2007, 9:00 PM   #4

I have one, but I don't want to part with it!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 1:56 PM   #5

i had tokina's manual focus 80-200 f2.8 - xx
not sharp enough at 2.8

roy
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:38 PM   #6

I had the Sigma and I found the Pentax to be sharper at 2.8, which is why I paid the extra money for the Pentax.

Why pay that much for a 2.8 if it isn't sharp at 2.8, get a 4.5 for less than half instead?

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:04 PM   #7

Hi Crash,

About a year ago, I was exhibiting the same LBA symptoms -- wanting a fast 70-200ish lens for candids. The choices that were presented at the time were:

Pentax FA*80-200/2.8 @ $1200+ USD used only -- obviously the best

Sigma APO 70-200/2.8 EX DG -- @ $800 new, $600 used -- very good, but not as good as the Pentax

Tokina 80-200 AT-X Pro AF II -- @ $400 used -- a good lens, but noticeably not as good as the Sigma or Pentax

I ended up settling for the Tokina -- It's good enough for my purpose, and the degree of softness doesn't really detract significantly for candids, mostly head shots of people who somehow don't appreciate brutal sharpness as much as I do :-). It's also the lightest of the three, but not by much -- it's still a handful to carry around and use (and pretty intimidating to human subjects). This is also a good FL range for zoos, but I'd like more sharpness than the Tok can deliver for this purpose -- especially for use with a TC.

If I had to do it over again, I'd probably get the Sigma, and if I planned on more significant use for this FL range, bite the bullet and search out a Pentax, but with the DA*50-135 coming soon, I'll be able to have a smaller, lighter, faster focusing, less intimidating lens to use for candids, so I'm pretty sure that I'll just stand pat with the Tokina. . . at least until a "deal that I can't refuse" comes along on a Sigma or Pentax. . .

Of course YMMV -- but that's part of the fun of LBA.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:55 AM   #8

Thanks guys

Tom....sure you don't want to sell??? :lol::lol::lol:

Looks like I will be going for the Sigma :sad:then.

Just checking prices now.

Crash
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:52 AM   #9

after reading this post i started researching these lenses, and i'm quite interested in the Tokina for my k100D.

Only problem i find it online only for Nikon, and at very good prices ( around 200$ ).

Anyone know where i could find one for pentax? I'd like to have something faster then my sigma 70-300 apo.

Gianni
Lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 4:32 PM   #10

Well guys, if you could consider a fix focus 300 mm lense, there isa Pentax FAf2.8 on schreechbay from Poland. Starting bid 5000 USD

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote