Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 3, 2007, 8:54 PM   #11

That's okay, don't have any K lenses.

So basically it will be like a manual camera with the benefit of Digital storage?
So I look at the light meter, adjust the aperture and shutter speed accordingly and press the button!

Like I currently do with my Praktica!

hmm, $1250 AUD for the benefit of digital prints and cheaper photo development...

Huw B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 12:35 AM   #12

mtngal, Crash, Tim, Huw B, Hayward, DeeJaaAaaa, Paul, Darren,

Thank you all for your help. It's greatly appreciated. It's a pleasure knowing that when help is needed, we all have friends that are there for you right here on this great site. Cheers from Sunny Florida. :-)
Jay D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 6:20 PM   #13

Huw B wrote:
Quote:
That's okay, don't have any K lenses.

So basically it will be like a manual camera with the benefit of Digital storage?
So I look at the light meter, adjust the aperture and shutter speed accordingly and press the button!

Like I currently do with my Praktica!

hmm, $1250 AUD for the benefit of digital prints and cheaper photo development...
That is about right. However, that is if you use lenses which are 20 years old. Lenses with the 'A' on them will function correctly in any mode.

To be honest the main benefit of digital for me is the number of experimental pics I can take with no financial impact. Bought my K10D 2 weeks ago (well 2 weeks come Fiday night) and already taken 900 shots with it, keeping around 300 or so. I couldn't do that with film, plus waiting a week to see the results is painful.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 6:57 PM   #14

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
That is about right. However, that is if you use lenses which are 20 years old. Lenses with the 'A' on them will function correctly in any mode.

Darren
20!
Two of my lenses are twice that I'd say!
Got a few slightly more modern ones.

Anyhoo. Right now I'm just testing them on my old praktica, seeing that they are up to scratch and I still know how to take photos.
Afterwards I'll order in an adaptor and give em a whirl on the k10d =)
Huw B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 1:47 AM   #15

That's the fun of Pentax. The older glass is usually better unles you pay silly money for the new stuff.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 6:34 AM   #16

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
As a quick recap of the various lens capability:

K or M - manual focus, manual exposure
A - manual focus, auto exposure
F - auto focus, auto exposure
FA - same as F, but the zoom lenses have power zoom capabilities

There are some other fine points to lens capabilities/quality, if you have specific questions, just ask.
Just to muddy things a little more.....

The older mounts M42 screw (manual, requires adapter) P/K (manual), KA (AE)

The current mount is KAF (AE & AF) , but there is also KAF2 (I know K10D supports, and probably K100D, not sure about the older isT line's KAF2 compatibility.

This is one more clase of lens.... the "Power Zooms" which offer some interesting features like like zoom tracking (keeping subject same relative size as it moves away or forward.), Zoom effect (auto zoom during exposure, giving a sucking in or blowing out effect), and preset zoom point/recall .
Also lens zoom/focus retract to makes lens as small as possible at power off. (Like what most zoom P&S do)

As far as I know that is all KAF2 does extra now, but likely there is potential for it do do other things down the road.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 6:40 AM   #17

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Except of course AF, which the 10D will not take a shot if left in AF with an A lens, as it thinks there has been an error.

Also just checking the manual.... With an A lens, Focal Length will not be reported to the SR system so you will have to manually set that, which for a prime is no big deal but could be problematic with a wide range zoom if you want to use SR

(See page 208 in 10D manual).

EDIT OK some corrections here just having gotten my first A lens today.

They WILL work in AF but will only release the shutter when the AF system says you are locked. Also with an A lens it defaults to centere focus point so depending on composition and how shallow DOF this can be problematic.

The AF blinks and beeps still work in MF just no release lock out.

As to the SR.... at least on the 10D if the camera is in SR when powered up and an A lens mounted it automatically goes to the SR FL setting screen. Again easy for a prime lens (my case a F/2 50mm A), and if same lens defaults to last FL and just hit OK... but could get cumbersome with a wide range 'A' zoom... unless you just set it for the middle and hope or stick to a narrow range.... where you would have to keep going into menus to change it or keep powering down/up each time you want to change. (Later probably the easiest give the 10D' very fast start up time.)
Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:42 AM   #18

My oldest is a Takumar 300mm f/4, it has the aperture ring at the front of the lens. manufactured between 1959 and 1965. I like it, but she is heavy. :lol:
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:44 PM   #19

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
As to the SR.... at least on the 10D if the camera is in SR when powered up and an A lens mounted it automatically goes to the SR FL setting screen. Again easy for a prime lens (my case a F/2 50mm A), and if same lens defaults to last FL and just hit OK... but could get cumbersome with a wide range 'A' zoom... unless you just set it for the middle and hope or stick to a narrow range.... where you would have to keep going into menus to change it or keep powering down/up each time you want to change. (Later probably the easiest give the 10D' very fast start up time.)
The advice I was given when I started using my K10D with my existing collection of K-mount lenses was to set the SR to the longest setting on the zooms. This is certainly one way to interpret P69 of the manual, where it talks about setting the focal length for SR. This seems to work just fine.. especially when you zoom in and out for multiple shots of a quick moving subject.

Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 1:01 AM   #20

And I would tend to agree... given my Sigma 70-300mm did quite as well as with a 1.4x TC on it only compensating for 300/450 mm vs 450/630mm

But depending on the zoom range and FL that could be more problematiic vs an A or M prime lens where SR FL is easily and power up default set.