Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 5, 2007, 1:05 AM   #1

(chopped end of title being "though price not being one of them") But used... HEY!!!

Limited experimentation oportunity tonight having the dog/HORSE in tow.... but I was pleasantly SURPRISED, by this B&H 8+ cond used lens.

Hands down no way my SIGMA 70-300mm would have gotten this as well.... for the light conditions and exposure.... excellent brightness and contrast.

Also surprised how really little difference in frame content between 210mm and 300mm Really if you bthing about it.... the ratio is the same as the difference between 50mm and 75mm... not a lot... just had never had a 200 before.

Much faster AF too in good light... but about the same when things got dim.

Only thing I don't like is it can't take a lens hood other than by filter mount.... then again does amazingly well rejecting off direct axis light... even without one.... with hood SIGMA would be much more dull/clouded looking shooting at 15-30 degs away from setting sun (and this not even SMC). To be expected some internal relfection issues shooting directly into setting sun but not bad really, and probably less than the sigma but similar, if not careful

(Something many overlook with "protection" UV fileters as even the best cause horrendous problems in that area.)

Haven't looked up retail on this lens... but guessing it was well above $85 :roll:

Oh and this shot at FULL zoom 210mm at f/8. Also just reduced JPEG right out of camera ZERO post.

It would appear I am not alone in my opinion of this lens (especially for like cost)
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...ns-review.html

Looks like this may be short lived though.... just hooked the SMC FA Powerzoom version on Fleaabay for about $8 more. I'll be interested to see how they compare IQ wise.
Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2007, 1:07 AM   #2

Now just as an example of the lens AND what 10MP helps with here is a like 20X crop of that frame... lens wasn't as sharp even with 10MP that would be a lot messier looking, if not just grainy blur. Not rerally any appreciable CA to be seen there either.
Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote