Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:14 PM   #1

Keep going for that zoom... oops no that's focus.

But for a prime lens (especially short) manual focus isn't a big thing/inconvenience, especially since the AE system monitors/confims focus.... at least center point (only) with an A lens.

In AF the AF focus has to agree to trip shutter, but in manual focus still the confirmation for center point but that is not where you want to focus... you can still take the shot.

For a $20 shipped investment not a bad little lens.... and I do mean LITTLE... amazing how much smaller they can be with no AF motors and such involved.

Even at F2 seems to be pretty sharp edge to edge and even detail in the pictures to side of stage. Building was bright enough I had to shoot 1/200th to do f/2 at ISO 100.

Another nice dirt cheap good contrast/shadow detail lens. Even a SMC!.

Ebay $21 shipped.

I keep winning some Ebay auctions at low levels this could be Christmas in April :-)

Then again it ASTOUNDS me how many buy stuff even if new for just about street price sometime even more... even ordinary used stuff goes surprisingly near new high sometimes.

Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:18 PM   #2

Pentax A 50mm f/2

And of course niether of these shots is square on.... so any blur on the left is more DOF than sharpness at f/2.
Attached Images

Old Apr 8, 2007, 3:41 PM   #3

Not bad at all. Like the low light one a lot!

I've got a 50mm f/2 M lens that works pretty good and is sharp...Just have to set everything...But that's why I got the K10D ..To explore the possibilities of manual lenses with AS. Works great in low light. I've also got a 55mm f/1.8 and am anticipating trying it with the K10D when I can get an adapter to fit it on the camera...Those 50mm f/1.4's are going for outrageous prices on Ebay...I've about stopped bidding on them as they are always sniped out from under me at the last minute!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 11:01 PM   #4

Yup and the 2.0's "A's" are stiil fast (by 2 stops even over most low (=<70-80mm top) range zooms) and sharp are still going dime a dozen relatively, in fact I have a bid on a second (99 cents lasdt I checked... no other bid) likely to win just in case I ever drop current one in the the drink, or gets dropped/run over. etc.

EDIT OK now suddenly they are going $30-50+ (before ship... mine was $21 TOTAL auction value as like $12).... guess the secret has gotten out. Still a bargain though compared to original cost or value, if you can handle MF.

And PS, that 12 hours out still 99 cent "A" f/2 50mm when for $30 even with seller saying some internal dust and stuff issues. ( I LOOKED AT IT only AS A BACK UP)

Some people just don't understand auctions, and pay near retail (at/over street price) amazingly often with no warranty. (Though not saying that in this case but more than it was worth... but not sorry I wasn't home for the final bidding either)
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:59 AM   #5

One rule I've made myself keep on Ebay buying lenses...Never and I mean never pay over 3/4 of the store value on a lens and that includes shipping! So far that has been keeping me from going over the top with my spending! The most I've paid for one so far is 72 dollars shipping included for my 100-500mm Samyang..And it is almost new!

Dawg
Old Apr 10, 2007, 1:54 AM   #6

And depending on how sharp/wide f/ it is at 500mm... sounds like a heck of a deal.

Even if its not all that fast, but still sharp.

But that is just it.... amazing how many blind following the blind LEMMINGS there are on Ebay with no clue... sad for them... and good for sellers.... but sad for those who know what things are worth... I too know when to bow out of an auction :blah:

Or sometime just couldn't be home and didn't care/want it enough to put in that big over max bid.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 8:56 PM   #7

I have been bidding on 50 MM 1.7 manuals for several weeks, and keep getting outbid, lol. I have access to a 50 MM 1.4 manual < on my fathers ME Super > but want a pretty fast prime of my own. I'd hate to drop my pop's lens, and have to pay to replace it. One of these days I'll get the 1.7 at my max price < or less i hope >
StevePMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:20 AM   #8

Understand what you are saying but 1.7 is only half stop off 2.0 and 1.4 just one. (VS big cost)

1.2 then you are getting into very different terratory, and realy justifies the cost.

Then again after getting my Pentax-A 50mm 2.0 dirt cheap I am amazed how much even those have started to skyrocket.... just looking thinking about a backup should it get damaged.

Old Apr 11, 2007, 9:49 AM   #9

Lots of very good screw mount 55mm f/1.8's on ebay and go for very reasonable prices. Got a Auto Takumar 55mm for $6.95. Other than some wear on the body it could be a new one.

Dawg
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:57 PM   #10

I have sort of avoided the M42's if only because they require very cumbersome hard to exchange adapters.... so unless you are going to shoot something with all M42 screw lenses, then alot of trouble to swap to K, and likely missed shots because of that time factor.

I have no problem with/really like prime K Auto's though.... MF not a big deal given the cost and weight/bulk savings.

PS I really doubt that was $6.95 shipped.... not that luck doesn't happen.