Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 8, 2007, 8:04 PM   #11

I do realize that conveying sarcasm through print can be a bit tricky, but I'm a little shocked that anyone had difficulty understanding that I was actually defending Hayward here. Even if I hadn't pre-empted the statement with acknowledgements of how difficult the shooting situation was I wouldn't have expected anyone to believe I meant it seriously, but if anyone's delicate sensibilities were inadvertently trampled I do apologize.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 10:08 PM   #12

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 2:10 AM   #13

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
I do realize that conveying sarcasm through print can be a bit tricky, but I'm a little shocked that anyone had difficulty understanding that I was actually defending Hayward here. Even if I hadn't pre-empted the statement with acknowledgements of how difficult the shooting situation was I wouldn't have expected anyone to believe I meant it seriously, but if anyone's delicate sensibilities were inadvertently trampled I do apologize.
Any remark I made was much more directed to Robar (or really just that expressed attitude) than you... you just made the observation
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 3:25 AM   #14

Looks like I'm the one who did the misunderstanding then. Thanks.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 1:29 AM   #15

And no offense was ever taken for your comment....

BUT

This thread was NEVER started as PERFECTION of SR FAST lens or anything else just a pretty good happy ACCIDENT, with a dirt cheap used (though not originally) recently aquired (1st few night) lens.

Maybe I should have posted the surrounding frames, but this one of 4 happened to come out pretty natural ( I suspect WB wise because of the colors on tha background dance floor not present in the others... changing/moving lights)... plus otherwise worse exposures)
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:36 PM   #16

I like the happy accident myself.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2007, 12:44 AM   #17

Hayward,

I like that picture. The colors are nice. It pleases me. That being said, what I think or anyone else is irrelevant. As long as YOU like the picture, that's all that matters.

I've posted plenty of pics on these forums that I consider to be the best ones I've ever taken. I think I've received ONE positive comment, the rest were completely ignored. Fact is, unless you take pictures of birds, in which case you can do no wrong, artistically or technically, many people here aren't particularly [interested]

Your pic was taken under horrific conditions, USING AVAILABLE LIGHT, manually focused on a camera viewfinder with NO FOCUSING AID, HANDHELD at 1/4! Christ you had everything going against you and you still posted a decent shot!

I don't know. I'm new to photography almost every "why am i even bothering to try to snap this" picture in low light I ever take comes out as badly as I imagine it will, so this type of shot is of interest to me.

Plus, it shows how much SR can help. 1/4 of a second. 1 good shot on 4 isn't too bad, with my gear, the ratio is ALWAYS ZERO at that shutter speed.

Long story short, i want EVRERYONE to post their pictures, whether they think the forum will approve or not. I for one always enjoy seeing other peoples' pics. I should also mention that this forum's enthusiasm and plentiful pic posting with the *ist DL is what made me pull the trigger on that buy, and I am so glad I did.

edit: removed pointless inflammatory material. it's not really how I wanted to come off but in the middle of final exams i don't think clearly
mongrelchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2007, 12:53 AM   #18

Regarding noise reduction software and post-processing:

I like pics posted as-taken! Shows what the gear is capable of producing and is a much better indicator of photographer talent that running through some noise crunching program and spending 6 hours in Photoshop.

I'm new to photography and new to image correction (postprocessing). My photoshop experience is extensive... when it comes to sticking hitler's face on pictures of people i know or equally idiotic shenanigans.

This is why as-captured or minimally processed images appeal to me.

Besides, that noise is "nice". It is monochrome. when I see noise, I see all kinds of stupid colors and blurred details. For an as-shot pic, the noise isn't so bad.
mongrelchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:35 AM   #19

Ouch, while this thread would be pretty tame on most forums it is turning ugly by the standards of this one. Certainly everyone should be able to, indeed be encouraged to, post whatever pictures they would like to share. If not, what is the forum all about?

I do try to comment on as many posts as I can. Mongrelchild, I apologize if I have missed yours. I have noticed that, as a photography novice around much more experienced peers, I have often been reluctant to give constructive criticism and sometimes have not posted a comment at all (not talking about your photos Mongrelchild, just in general here) rather than mention things I think could have been improved. At the same time, constructive criticism posts are what I appreciate the most when I post photos. A bunch of replies telling me how good I did are certainly an ego boost and are always appreciated but if someone points out something I could have done better I have an opportunity to improve. In Roy's defense, I have always appreciated the fact that he is one of the forum members most likely to provide constructive crticism and critique. I, for one, really appreciate that.

This is a great place to learn from each other. I don't know if it would help if we, as a group, determined a way to tag posts as either inviting or declining critique, if that would help. But if anyone here feels their pictures are not welcome I hope you will change your mind and post away. I love learning new things about photography from the members here and I also love learning about the far away places you live that I can only dream of visiting.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 1:35 PM   #20

Well said Tim.

I think it is taken as read that any pic posted has been done so to share and to invite comments/critique. I think that if someone does post a pic on which they do not want critiscim, then they should say so.

I am not a pro, nor do I always post good shots, but what I do post has improved immensely in the year (well a bit less) that I have been a member here.

Roy has really been a great help, (as have others, but Roy is mentioned) but then I have a thick skin (hence posting my pics!) and am used to people saying what they think. I have always found that Roy's comments are not made with any malice, but he genuinely likes to help others produce the best they can, as he does himself.

I love people posting their pics, and that is what makes this forum good and friendly. I see pics that I wouldn't otherwise see from countries all round the world. But this is a free and public forum, so posts will always attract comments, just hopefully not nasty, snide ones!

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote