Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 7, 2007, 3:06 AM   #1

Something to be said for BOTH fast lenses and SR... especially in combination

(Pentax-A SMC f/2 50mm 1/4 sec)
Attached Images

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2007, 9:02 AM   #2

How can you focus so reliably in low-light?

I'm having a hell of a time with the 50mm/1.4 and my DL
mongrelchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 5:22 PM   #3

Well helped that the flower/table had a small dim spot light on it. Honestly it probably could have been a little sharper. I had about 4 frames, this was best, the others either poorer focus or exposure/WB.

Focusing in low light is tough.... but hopefully there is some light sharp featured spot about where you want to focus.

Also the K10D has a Pentaprism VF, which makes it a fair bit brighter..
Old Apr 7, 2007, 9:38 PM   #4

focus is soso. SR didn't do too well and you definately need a noise reduction program.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 12:37 AM   #5

You are suddenly getting AWFULLY fussy/persnickedy when no claim of perfection has been made...

And I too said could have been better, but for a spur of the moment (not obsessive) shot.

Not bad.... THAT's ALL.... and mongrelchild seems to have found it pretty good.

Yes I could have run it through NEATIMAGE.... not quick and dirty reduced it to 640x480 in Irfanview.... could have done it better in Photoshop.... lots of things but again that was never the point or claim.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 5:21 AM   #6

I find myself shooting a lot of low light stuff with my A 50mm 1.7. I've shot my brother performing at a couple local bars on occasion, and the lighting is so dim that I had to focus by manually setting the distance on the focus ring.

This photo is a pretty good example of pushing your equipment beyond it's intended limits. It's understandably soft, but I don't see any hint of motion blur. 1/4 second at 75mm equivalent is exceptional. At f/2 on ISO 1600, it must have been about the illuminative equivalent of a single candle. I use similar settings when shooting at night under moonlight. I've managed a few at a 1/2 second on my K100, but it's so difficult I rarely try it.

But Robar's probably right, if your pictures aren't pefect your probably shouldn't bother posting them.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 6:25 AM   #7

Quote:
But Robar's probably right, if your pictures aren't pefect your probably shouldn't bother posting them.
Well then about half the pictures posted around here shouldn't be here by an only "perfect" is acceptable definition.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 8:11 AM   #8

Hi Corpsy,

Well I see that I have made the right decision not to post any more pictures. Being an Non Professional and not shooting the PERFECT PICTURE I have made the right choice.

I want to thank everyone here for pointing that out to me. That to post a picture anywhere on this board the Picture has to be perfect.

Also seeing that I am a NON PROFESSIONAL, My thoughts and or advice/suggestions are not valid either.

So with that have a nice day and enjoy your forums...

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 1:23 PM   #9

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well then about half the pictures posted around here shouldn't be here by an only "perfect" is acceptable definition.
I'll second that remark.

Photography is an art form, and the quality of all art is subjective.

I'm reminded whenever I see a discussion like this of one of my all time favorite quotes:
Quote:
Quality is a Characteristic of thought and statement that is recognized by a nonthinking process. Because definitions are a product of rigid formal thinking, quality cannot be defined
Robert M. Pirsig - Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

My only criteria for whether or not an image is good is if I Like the image. That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement, because there is almost always room for improvement.

When you do post images, just don't let the nit-pickers get to you too much. They don't all post "perfect" pictures either.

Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 7:16 PM   #10

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote