Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 9, 2007, 5:31 PM   #11

pbender wrote:
Quote:
At least on the K10D, the camera will ONLY stop down a manual apperature K-mount lens, or an auto apperature one not set to the A setting, in M mode. In M (manual exposure mode) you can meter the exposure yourself using the DOF switch (the third setting on the on/off switch). In apperature priority mode, the camera uses these lenses wide open.
It's pretty much the same on the K100D, except you use the AE-L to meter. You can use the power switch to do a DOF preview, but that's all it does.

I just tried this; if you hold the DOF preview it will tell you whether it thinks the exposure is too high or too low with the exposure compensation value (ie it'll read -2 if it thinks you're 2 stops too dark), and will update as you point that camera at lighter or darker scenes. While continuing to hold the switch, you can hit AE-L to automatically set the shutter speed, or you can turn the dial and set it manually.

The reason I wish it could be made to operate like a screw mount lens though is because I like to use exposure compensation. If I'm shooting in snow, I want to tell the camera to overexpose rather than try and make the snow medium gray, but with a k-mount lens that means having to hit AE-L to set shutter speed, then turning the dial to set a slower speed. That gets tedious.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:46 PM   #12

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
pbender wrote:
Quote:
At least on the K10D, the camera will ONLY stop down a manual apperature K-mount lens, or an auto apperature one not set to the A setting, in M mode. In M (manual exposure mode) you can meter the exposure yourself using the DOF switch (the third setting on the on/off switch). In apperature priority mode, the camera uses these lenses wide open.
It's pretty much the same on the K100D, except you use the AE-L to meter. You can use the power switch to do a DOF preview, but that's all it does.
Ok, that works in the same manner, as long as we're only talking manual mode.

The difference here is that with the AE-L button, you're telling the camera to "pick the best exposure setting". on a lens that isn't set to "A", the camera can't change the apperature, so it changes other parameters to get the exposure correct.

Hitting the DOF switch is exactly like metering on my old Ricoh film camrea. The camera tells you whether you need to increase or decrease a value, but you get to decide exactly what parameter to change.

Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 4:55 PM   #13

Hayward wrote:
Quote:
Did you happen to miss this very recent... post/thread
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=94
Hmmm, not sure how I missed that one...Thanks, that answers alot of my questions!
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote