Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 10, 2007, 4:04 PM   #1

If I am not mistaken the lens for my k100D uses 52mm filters. I am looking at buying the sigma 70-300 macro lens and it uses a 58mm filter.

I am thinking of also getting a cir polarizer. Should I get a 58mm and just buy a step up ring 52-58mm. Buying two at ~$80 each is really not an option.

This is annoying. Why cant they make the same thread size?
maj0rglitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2007, 4:26 PM   #2

maj0rglitch wrote:
Quote:
I am thinking of also getting a cir polarizer. Should I get a 58mm and just buy a step up ring 52-58mm. Buying two at ~$80 each is really not an option.
$80?

The two I've bought have both been around $30. I bought one at a local camera store in Springfield,MO, and the other online from B&H.

I have one for 49mm and one for 52mm, the two most commo filter sizes in my lens collection (though I may decided to get a 58 as well, since my new lens (which may become my walkaround lens) uses 58mm filters.

Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 7:19 PM   #3

maj0rglitch wrote:
Quote:
If I am not mistaken the lens for my k100D uses 52mm filters. I am looking at buying the sigma 70-300 macro lens and it uses a 58mm filter.

This is annoying. Why cant they make the same thread size?
I guess you'd really be upset if you were looking at fast long teles. Those 77mm and 115mm filters cost as much as some lenses. . .

Seriously tho -- I usually think of how I'm going to use a lens, and whether it can stand the loss of light from a CP filter. Personally , I'd only get CPs for wider lenses that I'm planning on using for landscapes and such. For the teles, my use dictates that they be as fast as possible, and I usually don't have the choice of which direction that I'm shooting, so the CP might not have optimal effect, so would just end up being essentially a ND filter costing me light. So, bottom line, if the sky is blown out, it really doesn't matter to me. Also, when considering whether to buy a dedicated filter for each, or use step ups, consider your use of the hoods for the lenses in question. If you always use hoods, then the step up might not allow for this, and depending on the hood and the construction of the lens (internal focusing or not), a CP might not be practical to use if you can't rotate it or the front element of the lens turns as it focuses.

Just a few thoughts. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 12:21 AM   #4

maj0rglitch wrote:
Quote:
Stepping UP is not a problem stepping down is.... likely causing vignetting, etc.

As to different sizes well just the physical nature of optics....but most typical lenses are in the 49-58mm range (though some in the 60-70+mm range.

So buy some 58mm filters or whatever,,,, and some step UP rings to adapt them to your smaller lenses.... but don't go the other way (small filter on a big lens)

Actually a sort of cool side benifit of my cheapo 52mm front 2x Tele- 0.42x WA add on lens kit.

$30 shipped off EBAY the 2x Tele expectedly is a true POS (And I was after the WA anyways).... but the .4x WA actually quite good... on my 28mm (making it effectively 12mm), yes curvature distortion (to be expected) but almost no sharpness/chromatic distortion difference (vs a likely... though less curved image likely near $400 wider than 28mm lens), but it also came with several 49-55 MM (to 52mm) adapter rings. Worked out real well for BOTH my 49mm P-A f/2 50mm prime and 49mm Takumar 70-210mm making the 52mm WA converter and old 52mm Pol and other filters (from P&S days) fit both, as well as my 3rd lens 52mm native Sigma 28-70mm zoom..

The other advantage to stepping up is you can STACK filters without vignetting cost/danger
Actually lens size filters if a wide lens often you have a UV on top of a double thick CP is enough to often cause vignetting.... that will not be the case if they are 58mm filters on say a 52 MM lens or even a 55 likely

Or in my case 52's on a 49mm lens.

Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:56 AM   #5

I use the Cokin Filter system and the A series for my lenses up to 65mm. The cost of a filter holder is about $14.95 at B&H and you can use the same filters in all the filter holders. I have a 55mm series A holder and plan on getting a 49mm, a 52mm, a 58mm, a 62mm and P series holder with a A series adapter to to use on the 72mm lenses I have! The same filters will drop in these filter holders and can be moved from camera to camera.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 2:38 PM   #6

I am looking at a B+W multi coated filter.
Thanks for the ideas. I think I would stick with the step up approach. I will be using it for hiking, less loose item is better, I am clumsy.
maj0rglitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:35 PM   #7

i've got several CPs. local shop sells them to me used for a pittance. the one i always carry is a 67mm and use rings to step up. along with the CP goes a 3 step rubber lens hood that works from wide to tele. i'd suggest the biggest one you acn afford and don't forget the hood. a pittance?? how about a tiffen 62mm CP (B&H = $71) for 50ยข .

roy
edit: i look at it this way. this isn't a filter you will use all the time, so why not let it work with all your lenses.

edit: i've got a vivitar and a standard hoya CP in 55mm if you are interested..

roy