Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax Lenses

Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:27 AM   #1

Want to replace my "kit" lens-read some unfavorable reviews on the Pentax 16-45 (which surprised me) Using onthe DS. Comments Thanks.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:13 AM   #2
TDN

choosing between f4 and f2.8 wouldnt be a choice for me

If you can afford a Sigma 2.8 standard zoom, I'd take it instead of the DA 16-45 every day.
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 6:27 PM   #3

i don't know anything about the sigma. i'd want to know more about the IQ before i let 1 stop of speed make a decision for me. i know the 16-45 DA is outstanding.

roy
Old Apr 11, 2007, 8:25 PM   #4
TDN

http://www.topicpoint.com/sigma_18-50mm/index.html

scroll down past the pixelpeeping part to the "real world' part

Looks decent to me, but expensive.

Have you considered keeping the kit lens and looking at alternatives from Sigma/Tamron/Tokina?

I hear the Tamron 24-75mm f2.8 Di is particulary nice...or the Sigma 24-70mm EX DG f2.8 Macro...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 9:02 PM   #5

TDN wrote:
Quote:
http://www.topicpoint.com/sigma_18-50mm/index.html

scroll down past the pixelpeeping part to the "real world' part

Looks decent to me, but expensive.

Have you considered keeping the kit lens and looking at alternatives from Sigma/Tamron/Tokina?

I hear the Tamron 24-75mm f2.8 Di is particulary nice...or the Sigma 24-70mm EX DG f2.8 Macro...
I was really tempted by this one at US$299 Amazon.com . I raised the same question at
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=22791749
Looking good after reading all the review. Foolproof if you get a good copy. Nah got too many projects going on at the same time.
To answer the original question:
It would be difficult to judge given the disparity of cost between Sigma 18-50 F2.8 EX at around $300 and the new DA* at around $800 with SSM.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 11:57 AM   #6

Is there a size and weight difference between the Sigma 18-50 and the Pentax 16-45?
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 1:19 PM   #7

Contriver wrote:
Quote:
Is there a size and weight difference between the Sigma 18-50 and the Pentax 16-45?
The Sigma is about the same size, weight and costas the Pentax 18-55, but smaller, lighter, and less costly than the 16-45, the cost of whichwas discounted as a kit lens. Forget the ratings - if you are surprised at the rating and satisfied withyour 16-45, keep it. You may have gotten a better example.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:15 AM   #8

Depending on what it (sigma) costs, why not wait for the reportedly excellent DA*
Gazander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 7:54 PM   #9

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Contriver wrote:
Quote:
The Sigma is about the same size, weight and costas the Pentax 18-55, but smaller, lighter, and less costly than the 16-45, the cost of whichwas discounted as a kit lens. Forget the ratings - if you are surprised at the rating and satisfied withyour 16-45, keep it. You may have gotten a better example.

DMJRR: Perhaps I misread yourfirst comment - I thoughtyou already had the 16-45. I have all three of these lenses (the Sigma in a Maxxum mount). The 16-45was a kit purchase with the *istD, and the 18-55 with the K100D - I didn't need the 18-55, but the body to kit cost differential was so slight, I took the kit.I found the Sigmeto beno better than the Pentax 18-55 - OK but maybe not as good. I find that Both Pentax lenses are excellent, and better performers in the macro range. While I generally use dedicated macro lenses, I did some comparative test close-ups with the 18-55 for a couple of friends contemplating K100D kit purchases, and was almost shocked at how good it was*. Real worle experience and lab test results don't always agree, so it is your satisfaction that is paramount. I don't think the Sigma willbe any improvement overwhat you have now; the 16-45 at least will give you a wider angle - "only" 2mm at the wide endmight give you as much or more of an effective increase in angle of coverage thantheloss of 10mm would cost you at the long end. Whether there is enough of an increase in performance to satisfy your needs, only you can be the judge.Perhapsyou can borrow a lens to compare.

*see thesamples in the "18-55m Kit Lens/macro examples" thread http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=94

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 11:25 AM   #10

Thanks for all the input-I have (3) Pentax Lenses-the kit lens, DA 18-55, the DA 50-200, and the 40 2.8 Limited. The kit lens seems to be flimsy, loose, and cheaply made compared to the others. The Pentax rebate program is supposed to end on April 30th-the 16-45 after the rebate is about $50.00 less than the Sigma-was trying to get opinions on which one was better. Right now I am stuck with the kit lens for anything wide angle.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote